Redboard edge

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
This is an interesting development. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14471

While I think RBE has some flaws, it points arduino in a promising direction. IMO, the Uno (and Mega) form factors are terrible for a general purpose SBC. I've never found them easy to incorporate into a completed "professional" product. This has potential.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
That is because they are not designed for professional products.
For professional product I would want screw terminals, which would make Uno board quiet a bit bigger.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
I've seen a lot of high volume industrial SBCs with no screw terminals. There are many ways to securely connect to off-board things. To me the board shape and pin placement of the Uno and Mega are problematic. Especially for expansion boards. After doing a number of projects where the enclosure was a PITA, I bought a 3d printer and make my own. But metal cases are still a problem.

The redboard edge has chassis grounding options (including for the USB connector shield) and a power switch. Also, they put power and ground connectors next to most of the I/O pins so you can provide power, signal and ground to external components via a 3 pin plug. I could see an expansion board (shield) that had screw terminals for those that need them. The "UI" elements being aligned to the edge make it easy to mount in an enclosure.