Rechargeable battery power supply for streaming audio plate amplifier

Doc.Doc

Joined Mar 31, 2023
I am trying to add a battery power supply to an Arilyc UP2stream plate amplifier.
I would like to use the switching power supply that it comes with for charging the batteries. I want to use two banks of LiPos- one for supplying power while the second bank is recharging. The battery power supply produces extremely easy to hear sonic benefits. Versatile use: AC or battery operation is not my concern. At the same time I am certain that placing away from the digital amp and Bluetooth circuits the switchmode power supply can only help...
Any ideas, circuit designs, would be greatly appreciated.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Need to know the output voltage of the switchmode power supply, and the voltage and model of the battery you intend to use.
You will need a charge circuit between the supply and the battery specifically designed for the battery you will use.

Doc.Doc

Joined Mar 31, 2023
Need to know the output voltage of the switchmode power supply, and the voltage and model of the battery you intend to use.
You will need a charge circuit between the supply and the battery specifically designed for the battery you will use.
The power supply that comes with the amp gives 12V DC. The amp accepts 12/24V DC. I am attaching a picture of the power supply.
I am planning on using 18650 batteries. Probably MOLICEL P26/28.
My goal is to provide 24V constantly, from two banks- one will recharge, while the other is supplying power. Battery banks, power supply will be segregated inside a 3D printed metal enclosure for minimum interference. IMG_20230402_124734.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One thing I find quite confusing " The battery power supply produces extremely easy to hear sonic benefits." Either portable operation is what you mean, or the mains power supply is noisy or inadequate. An explanation will clear up a lot, I am certain.

The simple way to charge a 24 volt battery pack from a 12 volt supply is a switch to charge two 12 volt sections in parallel. No active electronics and no extra real-estate needed.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The simple way to charge a 24 volt battery pack from a 12 volt supply is a switch to charge two 12 volt sections in parallel. No active electronics and no extra real-estate needed.
So you are saying you need nothing to regulate the voltage or current during battery charging (??).

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So you are saying you need nothing to regulate the voltage or current during battery charging (??).
No, but I AM stating that a simple rectified supply of the correct voltage and with a suitable current limiting resistor can allow manual charging in a reasonable manner.
For a constantly connected charging system that will never be attended or controlled, some additional circuitry will be needed. The "set and forget" charging process is a lot more complex than the mend and attend scheme. The concepts are vastly different.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I AM stating that a simple rectified supply of the correct voltage and with a suitable current limiting resistor can allow manual charging in a reasonable manner.
And I DON'T consider that acceptable with the LiPO batteries he intends to use.
They always should have a voltage limiter to prevent overcharging, which can cause bad things to happen.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
And I DON'T consider that acceptable with the LiPO batteries he intends to use.
They always should have a voltage limiter to prevent overcharging, which can cause bad things to happen.
A "voltage limiter" would certainly be part of " supply of the correct voltage and with a suitable current limiting". AND, I was rather specific in stating it was NOT for "set and forget" operation.

And it is still a puzzle as to why " The battery power supply produces extremely easy to hear sonic benefits."

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A "voltage limiter" would certainly be part of " supply of the correct voltage and with a suitable current limiting". AND, I was rather specific in stating it was NOT for "set and forget" operation.
He wanted to use the supply that came with the amp to charge the battery, which would not seem to meet either the voltage or current limit requirements.
So exactly how does a NOT "set and forget" work?
Do you sit there watching the battery voltage until it reaches the desired level?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
He wanted to use the supply that came with the amp to charge the battery, which would not seem to meet either the voltage or current limit requirements.
So exactly how does a NOT "set and forget" work?
Do you sit there watching the battery voltage until it reaches the desired level?
On those rare instances when I want to recharge a battery from the bench power supply, YES, I do pay attention to the condition of the battery, while doing other things as well. But that is not just watching, but rather monitoring. It includes feeling the temperature of the battery every few minutes.
And there does seem to be a float charge voltage level that will restore some charge to a lithium battery, if applied for a limited time.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
A Lithium battery cell is not fully charged when its charging voltage reaches 4.2V. Instead its voltage is limited to 4.2V and it is fully charged later when its charging current has dropped to about 1/20th its mAh rating.