Read latching solonoid valve position

fsoender

Joined Dec 10, 2015
Hi,

I got an latching solenoid that I wish I could read the 2 positions of the valve. I tried Hall sensor, but the housing is to thick to read anything.
I was thinking, would reading the coil do the trick, when its latched, I could resonance it some how and see if its latched or not?

Any suggestions?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
That should work if the coil inductance varies according to the armature position.. Can you post a link to the solenoid datasheet?
Is there space for a simple microswitch?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is the device that you are using to input the Read posn to?
When it is latched or unlatched there is no power to it so it probably will come down to a physical position of the plunger if it is required to be read at any other time.
Max.

fsoender

Joined Dec 10, 2015
What is the device that you are using to input the Read posn to?
When it is latched or unlatched there is no power to it so it probably will come down to a physical position of the plunger if it is required to be read at any other time.
Max.
It will be on an microcontroller.
Yes its just an pulse, but wont you be able to "test" the position after its changed position by measuring the resonance?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You could record the last position via polarity on activation, but not after, are you anticipating it drop out of its own accord?
Or is it last state in case of a power outage?
Max.

fsoender

Joined Dec 10, 2015
You could record the last position via polarity on activation, but not after, are you anticipating it drop out of its own accord?
Or is it last state in case of a power outage?
Max.
I do record it, but I want to have a better feedback due to vibration or shock that can potentially unlatch it.
I want to keep recording the position...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you can remover the cover and see where the magnetic armature ends up, you could insert a Honeywell SS400 mini hall effect device which has a TO92 case so very small.
They have Unipolar, bipolar and latched variety.
Max.