RE: PCB to external connection

Dinesh_rd7

Joined Jan 26, 2020
Hi,
I need to connect 5 wire from pcb to outer terminal,
whether soldering the wire is a better method, or is there any other method for connecting the wire with pcb. it should withstand even in hard environmental conditions.
Thanks,
D

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have used, but do not like soldered wires on the PCB to a detached connector. My favorite method a pinheader (guarded or unguarded) on the PCB to socket on cable (or reversed geometry) or an FPC connector on the PCB and FPC cable. You an also use finger contacts on the PCB and an appropriate connector.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The best method of connecting them will depend on what kind of electrical signal or supply the wires are carrying. Can you give a little more information? what does the PCB do? What is the terminal? Are the wires carrying digital, audio or RF signals? What current are the wires carrying? Without this information, we can not recommend the best way to make the connection.
Regards,
Keith

Dinesh_rd7

Joined Jan 26, 2020
The best method of connecting them will depend on what kind of electrical signal or supply the wires are carrying. Can you give a little more information? what does the PCB do? What is the terminal? Are the wires carrying digital, audio or RF signals? What current are the wires carrying? Without this information, we can not recommend the best way to make the connection.
Regards,
Keith
The wire carry just the voltage upto 10V, my pcb board function is just measuring the speed of a wheel using a sensor.

RobNevada

Joined Jul 29, 2019
I would use a Mil Spec connector. I have attached an image of the bulkhead side. This connector is made by Amphenol but you can also use Tyco as they make this type of connector too. I would solder the wiring to the PCB and use a bulkhead mount on the case.

Attachments

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I would use a Mil Spec connector. I have attached an image of the bulkhead side. This connector is made by Amphenol but you can also use Tyco as they make this type of connector too. I would solder the wiring to the PCB and use a bulkhead mount on the case.
Those are nice but maybe a little overkill for this application.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
How long are the wires? Will the three wires carrying the data need to be shielded or twisted pair? We still don't know what the data signal is. It could be a DC level or a full blown fast communications bus. How can we recommend the best connector without knowing?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hi,
I need to connect 5 wire from pcb to outer terminal,
whether soldering the wire is a better method, or is there any other method for connecting the wire with pcb. it should withstand even in hard environmental conditions.
Thanks,
D
I generally use screw terminals mounted to the PCT board.
If the 'outer terminal' means external to the PCT enclosure then there is a much cheaper plastic version of the $$$MS (military connector) shown earlier in post #8.
These have various pin out numbers and come with strain relief for a flexible cord/cable etc.
If a straight transmission out, then instead of connector, a plastic strain relief is also available.
Max.

RobNevada

Joined Jul 29, 2019
The key statement was environmental. This was the reason for the Mil Spec connectors. The plastic versions are crimp pins or solder pins. Water can go through these connectors as they are not waterproof or dustproof.