Rail Gun Using Mice As Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingsy

Joined Dec 18, 2016
I figured I would start a new thread about my project. The previous one was too specific (Solenoid, How Much Force).

Don't scold me about wasting money and time on this project. I know it's way out there. But hey, I'm retired so I can waste as much time as I want.

I'm working on a cannon that will lure a mouse down the barrel, then fire him across the room, hitting a wall and then falling into a bucket. I've already designed and built one that won't work. It's powered by a 6" spring (52 lbs at 4" compression) and a motor/gearbox for a wench to get the thing pulled back and cocked. Only I can't find the right spring (the one I bought was too strong) and the winding mechanism has got the best of me. This one, when pulled back about 3" will propel a 0.6oz weight 27 feet. Since I've come to a dead end on that one I've put it on the shelf for now and have undertaken a new design using magnetics. Here's a 3D of the spring cannon:
MouseCannon3D.png

And what's been built (most parts with a 3D printer):
MouseCannon.JPG

Now I plan to make a linear solenoid with a stroke around 4" in length. The solenoid will push a piston inside the barrel which launches the mouse. A weak spring or rubber band will return the piston to it's initial position after firing. The trigger is a baited wire on the inside of the barrel that when disturbed, touches another wire which instantly charges a small capacitor across the gate/source of a power MOSFET. The cap will keep the FET on until the piston has completed its movement. Initially I plan to power this with a 9v battery charging a 22,000uF capacitor. My gut feel is that 22,000uF discharging thru 15 ohms of coil will generate enough power to propel the mouse (0.6oz) against a wall about 10' away. The cap is rated at 25v so if needed I can always go up in voltage. The armature of the coil will be a 3" x .5" (dia) neodymium magnet inside a thin wall PVC pipe; the coil will be 4" long, wound around the pipe. I calculated 1600 total turns in 11 layers of 22 ga magnet wire. I'm thinking I may want to enclose the coil (and armature) in an iron pipe with caps on each end and a hole drilled into one end for the armature-to-piston shaft. That should enhance the magnetic circuit from coil to armature. Or would it?

Comments/suggestions/ideas are welcomed. I don't want to have to undertake a 3rd design. Let's make this work!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hallo,

I think you might know the user agreement by now.
In there the following information is given :

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.

1. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
    • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.
Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.