Quote feature, how do you use it?

Ken_NJ

Joined Feb 22, 2021
In other forums you select quote and the entire post usually gets quoted. How do you use it here? Do I select quote then select the text that I want to quote in my post?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
In other forums you select quote and the entire post usually gets quoted. How do you use it here? Do I select quote then select the text that I want to quote in my post?
Or you can highlight just the text you want to quote. A pop-tool appears from which you can select “+Quote” (add a quote). Then on the bottom of your new quote, there is an option to “insert quotes”. It works a little wonky, but it’s easy to pick up.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I've noticed, lately, that I have to press quote or reply twice for it to work. Once it is copied into the quote/reply clipboard then it appears as a tab on the message entry pane.

Not sure if this is a board error or an issue with my computer software.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Do I select quote then select the text that I want to quote in my post?
With the blue interface, I select the text I want to quote and a pop-up lets me select quote or reply.

If you want to quote multiple sections, you select quote. When finished selecting, use the "Insert quotes" button under the text entry box to insert the quotes in the order that you quoted them.

You can also remove any quotes you no longer want before inserting.

1697644558763.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Blue and had the problem for a while now... Couple of months maybe? Didn't realize what was going on at first and thought I'd simply forgotten to hit the quote/reply button but finally figured it out.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
At least in the Blue scheme -- have no idea about the Hideous Orange scheme:

The "Reply" button inserts the contents of the post into the post composition box as a quote at the point where the cursor is currently located. In general, quoted material within the post being quoted is omitted.

The "+Quote" button, as implied by the '+' character, adds the post as a quote to a clip board. If any text was highlighted in the original post, only the highlighted material is quoted, otherwise the entire post is quoted (and, again, quoted material is not included, even though you may see in in the "Review selected messages" dialog.

To actually insert quoted material, you use the "Insert quotes..." button (which is only present if the multi-quote clipboard has something on it). This will bring up the Review selected messages dialog allowing you to rearrange and/or delete the available quotes. When you click the "Quote messages" button, all of the quotes in the clipboard will be added as separately-quoted passages at the point where the cursor is currently located.