Questions about IP and port.

asdf arfw

Joined Sep 9, 2017
I already have read about it, but I still don't understand something. So as I know, IP address is like an identify number for each computer. It consists of 16 digit numbers, which is separated by dot. So its range is between 0-6x,xxx. Port is like a path or way to connect which each IP, each port will only have once of IP (is that right, I'm not sure. I read it from the internet). I'm wondering, so if I want to connect to the Internet, I must have an IP address but 0-6x,xxx number was that enough for all Host or End System in the world?

P.S. English is my 2nd language so I might make some mistake for grammar, sorry about that.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I already have read about it, but I still don't understand something. So as I know, IP address is like an identify number for each computer. It consists of 16 digit numbers, which is separated by dot. So its range is between 0-6x,xxx. Port is like a path or way to connect which each IP, each port will only have once of IP (is that right, I'm not sure. I read it from the internet). I'm wondering, so if I want to connect to the Internet, I must have an IP address but 0-6x,xxx number was that enough for all Host or End System in the world?

P.S. English is my 2nd language so I might make some mistake for grammar, sorry about that.
I didn't get what's the exact your question is, IP address of system is identification of your system. let suppose you're in computer lab and there are multiple PC's available. Every PC has it's own IP address, you are working on one PC and you want to communicate with another PC, then you should know the IP address of that PC. Without knowing of IP address you can't communicate with another PC

think, there are 4 PC's, one switch and one router in you're Lab and you have assemble every thing by using cable. Now you if you want to configure your router then how will you do it ? so you just use use putty to configure your router so you will download putty software on your PC. there you will see the port settings

upload_2018-1-21_18-14-11.png

Now You have PC and you're connected to internet and you are accessing website of ACC. so when you connect to internet ISP generate a public IP address for you're system. it's the identification of your system in world

Last edited:

English as a 2nd language will make it difficult, yes. Regardless of that, this is a complex issue and I will try a response not intended to explain the whole subject, but to at least speak to some aspects of what I think you are asking.

"It consists of 16 digit numbers, which is separated by dot. So its range is between 0-6x,xxx."

I'm not sure how you are describing IP addresses. Think bits not digits. Make sure that you understand the similarity between expressing an internet address in a dotted form (4 octets) versus a single 32 bit number.

An IPv4 address uses 32 bits for its Internet addresses. That means it can support 2^32 IP addresses in total — around 4.29 billion. Yes, we are running out of addresses.

A solution to that problem is to use IPv6 addresses. These use 128-bit Internet addresses and can support 2^128 Internet addresses - much more than IPv4.

See a decent explanation of internet addressing here.

The second part of your question (again, if I understand it) has to do with the relationship of ports to addresses. This gets more complicated. I think that you need to become familiar with the idea of internet connectivity in day-to-day usage as layers of protocols illustrated below from here.

You may look at an application that views a "page", like the one that you are viewing now, and not realize how much more is going into the transaction. You can't just look at HTTP without an appreciation for the protocol layers that it is built upon.

When you dig into those in a little more detail, you will start to see the idea of ports and how they come into the story and how they are different than addresses. An example is a TCP packet (a TCP protocol packet but it would be "riding" on an IP protocol packet) - see graphic below from here.

One source, although old, that I would still recommend is the TCP/IP Illustrated Volumes (1-3). I have kept these in my library and found that the time spent with them is still valuable.

Hope this helps.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
English as a 2nd language will make it difficult, yes. Regardless of that, this is a complex issue and I will try a response not intended to explain the whole subject.
I have been faced that issues at beginning. when someone asked me to explain why it's happening I couldn't explain reason . I do not know how much english I know but I think if I am getting response on my question that means people are understanding what I want to ask.

@asdf arfw having knowledge of english is advantage but you don't need to worry You should continue your efforts, definitely you will improve

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013

Hi

Here's one way to think about this.

The IP address serves the same purpose as the home address to your house. In order for mail to get to your house, the post office needs to know the home address. Likewise, in order for computers to send and receive IP network information between each other, each computer needs the address (IP address) of the other computer. The IP address is really 32 bit binary weighted number, but we separate them into four 8 bit fields called octets. When we talk about IP addresses, we usually use the decimal equivalent of each octet, separated by a dot, to represent the IP address.

The port number serves the purpose of identifying the type of information being sent. Using the house analogy, suppose the house has multiple rooms (like a hotel:D) and each room has a number assigned to it. The port number represents which of the rooms the information is to be delivered. Likewise, a computer has many services (rooms) running that can be communicated with using IP. The port number identifies the "service" (room), running on the computer, where the information is to be sent. The service we're all most familiar with is a web service. This service is identified as port number 80 and requests are sent to this service whenever you use your browser to view a web site.

Hope that helps..

eT