Questions about Amplifiers, Sample Rates, and Hardware Timing?

belae1ka

Joined Nov 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am using a NI USB-6002 Data Acquisition Device for my project.

My project consist of two analog inputs;
-A load cell sensor
-A potentiometer

A little info about my project;
I am making a shock dynamometer (a device that tests the performance of shocks). As the linear displacement of the shock changes, so does the force exerted by the shock. My goal is to make a program (using labview) that outputs a Force vs Linear displacement graph. I am using the load cell sensor for the Force output and I am using the potentiometer for the linear displacement output.

I'd like to take around 350 samples per second so that I can acquire an accurate plot.

I was also told that if I am using a USB-6002 DAQ, I will need to purchase a Load Cell Bridge Amplifier.

My problem;
I cannot find a Load Cell Bridge Amplifier with 350SPS (Samples Per Second). The only one that I can find is from sparkfun.com and it is only capable of 80SPS.

My questions;

Why do I need a bridge amplifier? What exactly is the difference between an amplifier and a bridged amplifier anyway?

Is there any other amplifier I can use for my load cell that is capable of the 350SPS that I need?

How do I theoretically setup my analog inputs so that they are on the same clock? (Not sure if this question makes any sense)
-What I mean by that is....For each output force sample that is taken, I need a sample for the shock's respective linear displacement output.

If you have even the slightest bit of feedback or can answer any of these questions I would highly appreciate it!

Thank you.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Load cell signal conditioners do not have sample speeds.

Most common flavors operate at 24 volts and after calibration provide either a 0 to 10 volt signal or 4 - 20 mA proportional to the upper and lower limits you choose for the load cell.

The NI device looks like it would be happy with such a conditioned signal and it would greatly simplify your plan to use a potentiometer.

belae1ka

Joined Nov 20, 2016
Load cell signal conditioners do not have sample speeds.

Most common flavors operate at 24 volts and after calibration provide either a 0 to 10 volt signal or 4 - 20 mA proportional to the upper and lower limits you choose for the load cell.

The NI device looks like it would be happy with such a conditioned signal and it would greatly simplify your plan to use a potentiometer.
Thank you, Kermit2.

The website states that the amplifier has a "selectable" 10SPS or 80SPS output data rate. Is that just optional or something? I suppose I don't really understand what they mean. Here is the link for reference; https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13879