Questions about air compressor project

matthew electric

Joined Feb 14, 2019
Hello there! I recently acquired an older air compressor. Its rated at 2 hp according to the sticker on the belt guard/cover. The motor looks to be a 220 volt, and has the plug type where one of the non grounded blades is turned 90 degrees from the other.

I did use pliers to turn it back and plugged it into a regular house outlet (110) and the motor ran, then slowed, then stopped working. The reset switch allowed it to start again, but obviously, this isn't going to work.

What I'm wondering is whether or not I canIMG_0528.jpg IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0531.jpg rewire this motor to run 110. If not, what are my other options? The compressor is old, and I only paid $30 for it, so I'm not in much.

I've included pictures, including the data plate on the motor. Thank you all for your help.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Showing the compressor it's self or giving the make and model may get you better answers. There are different type of compressor pumps that have different motor needs. Also giving where you live, the country at the least can help. We're flying blind in try to help.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Hello there! I recently acquired an older air compressor. Its rated at 2 hp according to the sticker on the belt guard/cover. The motor looks to be a 220 volt, and has the plug type where one of the non grounded blades is turned 90 degrees from the other.

I did use pliers to turn it back and plugged it into a regular house outlet (110) and the motor ran, then slowed, then stopped working. The reset switch allowed it to start again, but obviously, this isn't going to work.

What I'm wondering is whether or not I canView attachment 170201 View attachment 170201 View attachment 170202 rewire this motor to run 110. If not, what are my other options? The compressor is old, and I only paid $30 for it, so I'm not in much.

I've included pictures, including the data plate on the motor. Thank you all for your help.
It looks like an one phase motor 220V 60 Hz the only way is to connect it between two phases.
You do need however a 3 phase power inlet at your home to do so.

Picbuster

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That Plainly states 1ph, it can be connected to N.A. single phase 240v.
There are 240v 1ph outlets avaialble. H.D. etc
Why on earth would you even try it on 120v when it plainly states 240?
It is possible you have damaged a winding, luckily it has thermal protection.
It cannot be reconfigured for 120v. Even if it could, it would require a 30amp outlet on 120v.
Max.