Question on toggle switches

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by KatherineTurner, Aug 16, 2017.

1. KatherineTurner

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 24, 2016
    I have a specific circuit that flows <0.25A DC. I'm thinking to put a toggle switch on it, but currently I only have switches that are rated at 5ADC@28VDC.

I tried to find the toggle switch that's rated at 0.25ADC with no luck. Is it okay for me to go ahead and just use the switches that I have in hand?

2. jayanthd

Jul 4, 2015
    5ADC@28VDC is the max rating that is you should not make more than 5A flow through it.. If it is a toggle switch according to your requirement then you can use it for 20mA or 10 mA also.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Switch contacts and relay contacts need to be designed for their load. I forgot what I used to know about when gold plating is destroyed by too much current but I did dig around at e-switch and found one level for gold at 0.4 VA max. The next level is silver at 2 amps and less. Therefore, I suspect a 5 amp switch is the wrong thing for 0.25 amps, but are you designing for 50,000 operations in a consumer product or just hobbying around? I threw a couple of 12 amp switches into my clothes washer for less than a 2 amp load, but I know they will never get to 2000 operations and 125 VAC will punch through any oxide layer. It's a judgement call unless you're designing for a production run.

It's like pulling teeth to find the contact material and amp ratings and the PDF is nearly 10 MB so I'll give you a link:
    https://www.e-switch.com/system/asset/document/29/original/E-Switch_Product_Matrix.pdf

4. KatherineTurner

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 24, 2016

It's just a hobby project, not gonna go for 50,000 operations, so I guess it would be fine to use the one I have then?

5. Reloadron

Distinguished Member

Jan 15, 2015
    That would be my guess in this case. :)

Ron

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    If the switch carries a rating of 5A and 28VDC..
    Its suitable for use with anything with a current rating less than 5A AND also less than 28VDC..
    So 2A at 24VDC is fine..
    1A at 15VDC is fine
    6A @29VDC is not

And yes there are other recommendations/design guides with contact plating/lower current ratings but we certainly don't need to get into that for this application..