question for the oscillator~

paul1234

Joined Mar 13, 2007
in my homework~
i need to make a oscillator for 2.4GHz

where can i find the website and the circuit diagram?

and then~

i know that the simple oscillator have 3 type of it~
"wien-bridge oscillator", "colpitts oscillator" and "A coplitts crystal-controlled oscillator"

which type of it can make 2.4GHz or need the other??
and which one can easy to make by myself??

THX~

antseezee

Joined Sep 16, 2006
The Crystal Oscillator would probably fit best for reaching the high frequency requirements, but they're expensive and very small (component size) at frequencies greater than 100MHz. They do have awesome accuracy though, but price may be the biggest concern here.

The Colpitt's Oscillator would probably be most conventional (PNP transistor, few C's, few R's, few L's), however, I am unsure on the range of frequency it can acquire. It is all based off of the R & C values. It would definitely be the cheaper choice over the Crystal Oscillator.

I have never built one personally, but I'm sure you can find data pertaining to the matter by searching on:

www.google.com

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I'm not real sure you can get a crystal up to that frequency. You may need a Gunn diode (hot carrier diode) to get up to 2.4 GHz.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
A casual construction of a 2.4GHz oscillator is probably beyond the skills of the average electronics hobbyist. Aside from an understanding of imedance matching and proper RF layout techniques, there is the matter of instumentation and measurement equipment for that frequency range.

The technique is to start with a lower frequency oscillator and use a cascade of frequency doubler and tripler circuits. The final output is divided back down and compared to the reference oscillator to make samll frequency adjustments. In order to construct the waveguides and other components, access to a machince shop wouldn't hurt. You also need a CAD program to compute the dimensions of microstriplines. This is not for the faint of heart.

Good Luck

RAH1379

Joined Dec 13, 2005
look no further than your kitchen, the common microwave oven contains a 2.4 GHz oscillator that uses a magnetron as the active element.