Question for great Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NICE1

Joined Jun 21, 2017
Good day, the great Engineers. Please, I need well define answer to this question below.
You and an engineer colleague work closely on designing implementing procedures for the proper disposal of various waste materials in an industrial plant. He is responsible for liquid waste, which are discharged into local rivers
During ongoing discussion with your colleague, you notice that he is habitually allowing levels of some toxic liquid waste chemical, which are slightly higher than levels permitted by the law of those chemicals. You tell him that you have noticed this, but he replies that, since the level are only slightly above the legal limits, any ethical or safety issues are trivial in this case, and worth the trouble and expense to correct them.
Do you agree with you colleague? If not, should you attempt to get him to correct the excess levels, or is this none of your business since it is rather than you who is responsible for liquid wastes?
If he refuses to correct the problem, should you report this to your boss or higher management? And if no one in your company will do anything about the problem, should you be prepared to over their heads and report the problem directly to the government inspectors or regulators? Or should one do that only in a case where a much more serious risk to public health and safety involved

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The answer to your question depends on your morality to employment status ratio. At what degree are you willing to trade. And the degree of perceived damage done.

I suggest an indirect, anonymous approach. If it is a serious, dangerous breach......most agencies take anonymous reports and even issue rewards.

Most industries in the states.........have waste discharge permits. And are subject to random analysis.
If you get a violation......there will be a fine and closer scrutiny for a period.

Most permits are for far below any harm............so that effect is minimal if it is exceeded.

It depends on your particular situational context.

NICE1

Joined Jun 21, 2017
The answer to your question depends on your morality to employment status ratio. At what degree are you willing to trade. And the degree of perceived damage done.

I suggest an indirect, anonymous approach. If it is a serious, dangerous breach......most agencies take anonymous reports and even issue rewards.

Most industries in the states.........have waste discharge permits. And are subject to random analysis.
If you get a violation......there will be a fine and closer scrutiny for a period.

Most permits are for far below any harm............so that effect is minimal if it is exceeded.

It depends on your particular situational context.
Thanks.... but I would like you to just answer it from your own point of view. This is assignment was given to me and it should be in one page of paper

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You have already asked this question or one like it.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/question-for-engineers.137314/

How about you providing some of your own thoughts on this matter for a change.

This sounds like a course assignment.

This and the other are stock questions given to students at just about every university course on engineering ethics.

This is your assignment. You are required to write your own answer, not have someone regurgitate the same old answers that can be found on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.