Question about driving motor

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The video of the sand filter machine did not seem to give much of a view of the motor, except that it did indeed look like a windshield wiper motor or possibly a rear window wiper motor, from some kind of car. A rear window wiper motor would be a very good choice if you can get one used from an auto wrecker company. The small motor you have is way to fast and has way to little torque, and in addition the sand will destroy it in a short time.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
You could add an offset weight to shaft of your motor & attach motor frame to shaker table. Add a shield to motor to protect it from sand. Weight might be about size of 4 US one cent pieces stuck together, hole 1/8 in.
from edge.
Other thoughts: Make shaker table angle adjustable so that sand load migrates across table with 2 seive sizes, first very fine to dump silt, second to dump sand, next over the end to dump chaff. Mount table on flat springs instead of rollers. Use photo-electric beam to adjust sand load on table.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I viewed the video again and what is clear is hat this is not an automatic machine at all! It is a low efficiency powered sand sifter that provides the wrong kind of motion for working effectively. The motion is far too smooth and also way to slow. Using springs for the suspension would make it even smoother and less efficient. To make it more efficient you will need to put some bumps on the track so that the screen vibrates a lot more. And to make it automatic you will need to add a sand feeder to dump the sand on the screen at a rate that keeps the flow out fairly constant. You will also need a separate chute to separate the materials that are sifted out from the stuff that is sifted through. For that the screen will need to be sloped a bit.
The motor in the video looks a whole lot like an older wiper motor from a small car back in the 1960's That may be available in an auto scrap yard. A rear-window wiper motor from a current vehicle might also work. I have designed automation machines for quite a few years and so it is easy for me to see what is lacking in such machinery.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
@mohsen 2012 There are many wiper motors made since the 60's that would fit the bill, AC Delco still make the replacements, any auto wrecker should show an inventory.
I think the wiper mechanism is a good fit for a DIY project like that.
BTW, like the safety boots!.
Max.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
All the W.M. I've had my head inside don't have a gearbox just a belt round the motor shaft and a large pulley on the drum spindle.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
All the W.M. I've had my head inside don't have a gearbox just a belt round the motor shaft and a large pulley on the drum spindle.
Our 1958 Bendix Duo-Matic washer-dryer had a tree speed transmission that provided two reduction ratios and a 2x overdrive. But probably that model is quite rare today.. And certainly I have not seen much of a gearbox on others, except for one brand that had a unique thing that delivered either a 10:1 stepdown or a straight thru drive between two pulleys mounted right along side each other. It was great for a minibike because it could power shift with no clutching.