Question about click click sound in computer PSUs

disturbed123

Joined Jun 11, 2020
i have heard this is some kind of protection. how to eliminate that noise put the supply all ok?

the question is more principal. i have here one cheap power supply and can use it for learning.

thanks

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
i have heard this is some kind of protection. how to eliminate that noise put the supply all ok?

the question is more principal. i have here one cheap power supply and can use it for learning.

thanks
Yes, that sounds like the protection circuit operating. It detects a fault and shuts down, then has another go at starting and that can generate a click sound at each attempt. They are usually difficult and always dangerous to repair, but pretty cheap to replace which would be my recommendation.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
On a 24 pin PSU main connector Pin #8 (grey) and on an older 20 pin PSU main connector Pin #8 (same as 24 pin) grey is the PWR_OK pins.

PWR_OK.png

On start up the PSU looks at its outputs, if all outputs are in tolerance the PWR_OK line transitions from a logic low to a logic high as seen in the above image. When a supply attempts start PS_ON pulled low the supply attempts a start. However if the PSU has an excessive load or other problem and PS_ON is held low you will hear, as mentioned, a clicking sound. The upper trace is the PSU PS_ON command. So if you want to see if Power Out is OK look at the PWR_OK line.

Ron