PWM for IGBT driver

cvangordon

Joined Mar 28, 2016
I'm building a flash circuit for an external flash for a DSLR camera. I found a component by Linear Technology called a photoflash capacitor charger IC with integrated IGBT driver. It's an IC that reduces the number of external components needed for charging the capacitor of the flash and it has a driver for an IGBT that is used to quench the discharge of the capacitor so you can get shorter flash durations which allows you to control the light output of the flash, have "red eye effect", and save energy in the cap so it doesn't empty completely everytime.
A longer drive pulse to the IGBT means a longer flash duration and thus higher light output and more of the capacitor's energy is used.
What I want is to be able to trigger the flash with my remote flash trigger that sends a very short single pulse. I can't control the pulse width of the remote trigger so i can't just link it to the IGBT driver. I want to set up the circuit to receive the pulse from the remote trigger that then triggers a pulse that is ADJUSTABLE to the driver.

cvangordon

Joined Mar 28, 2016
I am happy to see that you are still developing the flash.

I have developed an external flash and it is triggering the igbt in frequency to avoid red eye.

Maybe you find it helpfull:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...external-xenon-flash-for-mobile-phone.132885/
dude, YES this is almost exactly what im trying to do. im even using the LT3485. i looked at your project but its completely in spanish and i dont know any spanish.
did you build the circuit from scratch and then get the board made yourself or is it from another device?
do you know how long the recycle time of the flash is?
it looks like you measured the pulse width of the IGBT driver but, again, its in spanish so im not sure.
what kind of transformer does it use?

pyrs9

Joined Dec 21, 2015
Yes, I designed the circuit from scratch.

The recycle time depends on the version from LT3485 you're using. I choosed LT3485-1 because it's the less current consuming (500mA). It takes 5 seconds aprox. to charge the capacitor.

During the withe balance I am triggering the igbt at 10Hz during 2 microseconds.

I'm using the transformer TTRN-0525 from Tokyo Coil.

What's the purpose of your project?

cvangordon

Joined Mar 28, 2016
im trying to make an external flash for a DSLR camera for macro photography purposes. i want as small of a flash unit as possible but i also am trying to see if i can still make a flash with a decent recycle time. 5 seconds for only 60uF is too slow for me. i want to make it so that i can adjust the flash output though so i can get multiple smaller flashes from a single cap charge maybe even enough to do a three shot burst.

im still fairly new to electronics though so i got a question i know is gonna sound so newbie: i dont have the equipment or software for programming a microcontroller so is it still possible to use the LT3485 without one? i was reading over the LT3485 data sheet and i see there is an input pin for battery,input, charge, and IGBT power all with different inputs. if there is a more simple way to use it do you know how it could be done?

pyrs9

Joined Dec 21, 2015
Nice! I would like to see your results when you're done.

I've attached together Vin, igbt pwr and battery but if you are going to use higher current version of LT3485 I recommend you to follow strictly the recommended board layout on the datasheet.

I've triggered the flash by hand touching with 5V on IGBTIN. However, this way, I discharge the capacitor in one shot. If you want to do PWM, the easiest way is to use a microcontroller in my opinion. I'm using an ATtinny45 programmed with and Arduino UNO.