PWM circuit to dim an LED

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Poor eyesight?
I am an old geezer who was completely blinded by cataracts in both eyes. So I got cataracts operations where the cloudy original lenses in the eyes are replaced with synthetic lenses. Now my vision is better than when I was young and it was excellent then and is now.

Heart attack?
Yeah, 10 years ago. I was rushed to the hospital and they put two stents in two clogged heart arteries. I am young again since there was no damage to my heart and I can exercise like when I was young.

Obese?
Nope, I have the same weight now and all my life as when I was a teen.

Booze and Mary Wanna?
No more, no more.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
How about memory, as you seem to be in the wrong thread? :rolleyes:
Yesterday I began reading this very long thread and in post #23 one week before my reply, Mellisa said she has poor eyesight.
I mentioned that I also had poor eyesight and it and a few other problems were quickly fixed. Maybe she does not know that many problems can be fixed.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yesterday I began reading this very long thread and in post #23 one week before my reply, Mellisa said she has poor eyesight.
I mentioned that I also had poor eyesight and it and a few other problems were quickly fixed. Maybe she does not know that many problems can be fixed.
Poor eyesight and cataracts are not synonyms. The latter is one cause of poor eyesight and is easily diagnosed. The former is a symptom that may have many causes.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Why linear? why not multiplicative or exponential?
In electronics there are two main categories: analog and digital.

Digital means all functions/values are represented by discrete digital words.
The actual voltage levels of the digital signals are unrelated to the value of the digital word.

Analog means the functions are represented by continuous (analog) voltage/current values.

Linear (circuits) is a generic word that refers to circuits that work with analog voltages to perform desired functions on the signals.
Those functions don't necessarily have to be "linear", they can be multiplicative, exponential, or other nonlinear factor.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Linear (circuits) is a generic word that refers to circuits that work with analog voltages to perform desired functions on the signals.
Those functions don't necessarily have to be "linear", they can be multiplicative, exponential, or other nonlinear factor.
Maybe a better word would be "continuous" instead of "linear"?

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
In electronics there are two main categories: analog and digital.

Digital means all functions/values are represented by discrete digital words.
The actual voltage levels of the digital signals are unrelated to the value of the digital word.

Analog means the functions are represented by continuous (analog) voltage/current values.

Thanks for that crutschow. In the social sciences (and I guess physics) the same distinction is made using the words categorical and/or discrete variables on the one hand and continuous variables on the other.

I think in electronics, if I get your meaning, then analogue measurement/variables corresponds
to continuous and digital corresponds to categorical and discrete measurement/variables.

An additional question if you pls: before semiconductors, there were valves/ tubes. Were all measurements then analogue and functions linear? Did solid state electronics allow both analogue AND digital measurment and correspondingly, linear and non linear functions? Or have I got that wrong/ simplistic?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Perhaps.
But "linear" is used to indicate circuits that deal with continuous functions.
Oh, I'm aware of that. It's a bad idea to change an already established language, especially one defined by more knowledgeable people than oneself. My suggestion was to use an equivalent word as an aid to more clearly explain things to a noobie, while also reminding said noobie that it's best to stick to the established one.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
An additional question if you pls: before semiconductors, there were valves/ tubes. Were all measurements then analogue and functions linear? Did solid state electronics allow both analogue AND digital measurment and correspondingly, linear and non linear functions?
Most of the valve/tube circuits were analog but the first digital computers built in the '40s and early '50s used tubes.

The tube digital computers were very large and power hogs (look up ENIAC which had 20,000 tubes, weighed 27 tons and took 150kW of power), so all digital computers become solid-state as soon as transistors became commercially available, which drastically reduced the size and power of computers.
Transistors taking milliwatts of power replaced tubes that required watts of power.

Then the invention of integrated circuits further significantly reduced a computer's size and power, until now we have cellphones with vastly more computing power than the biggest computers had in the middle of the last century.

Of course transistors also allowed the development of small analog circuits that were much lower power than their tube equivalents.
Look at the size of the first TV studio cameras versus the ones used today.

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
It is better to use a POT, a Mosfet to drive the Leds and a PIC12F1840 or if you want to operate the PIC with 3.3V then you can go with PIC12LF1840 which has both ADC and PWM modules.

If you can use PIC microcontroller then I can give you a circuit and code to drive your LEDs.

Microchip can send you programmed chip if you upload your .hex file (firmware) to them while ordering.

Last edited:

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
It is better to use a POT, a Mosfet to drive the Leds and a PIC12F1840 or if you want to operate the PIC with 3.3V then you can go with PIC12LF1840 which has both ADC and PWM modules.

If you can use PIC microcontroller then I can give you a circuit and code to drive your LEDs.

Microchip can send you programmer chip if you upload your .hex file (firmware) to them while ordering.
Jayanthd,
This sounds awesome. I'm interested in a programmatic option if I can get it burned into a chip as a production run, because this sounds scalable and tiny with tiny power. I hadn't thought of this option. My mind was stuck on Arduino and I don't have room or power to do that option.

Could you help me with it please?

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
Jayanthd,
This sounds awesome. I'm interested in a programmatic option if I can get it burned into a chip as a production run, because this sounds scalable and tiny with tiny power. I hadn't thought of this option. My mind was stuck on Arduino and I don't have room or power to do that option.

Could you help me with it please?
Yes, I will post the PIC12F1840 based Led driver project with circuit and code in forum today (in another 4 hours).

Reply to my PM (Private Message) regarding Compiler used for the coding.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
Yes, I will post the PIC12F1840 based Led driver project with circuit and code in forum today (in another 4 hours).

Reply to my PM (Private Message) regarding Compiler used for the coding.
Okay thank you Jayanthd. There is no hurry as I cant do anything practical for a few days. (Have to earn a quid).

I have already looked at chips to buy online (not purchased any); and downloaded this as a quick introduction: https://www.instructables.com/id/Intro-to-PIC-Microcontrollers/

I will do the PM now