Push on push off power switch

Justtryingformyself

Joined May 4, 2023
I have a laser that has a push on push off power switch I would like to add a push on release off switch in line. When I open the housing for the laser I see where the battery connects to the circuit board then after the circuit board there are two wires leading to the diode can I put a push on release off switch in line on those wires so I would push the on off switch and it would send power down to the push on release off switch? The power button on the laser is not easy to reach from the working position of the laser so I want to put a different switch in a different location than where the laser is (I'm sorry about terminology and punctuation I'm just trying to wire this up so I can use the laser where it is on when I hold the button down and off when I release it

seanstevens

Joined Sep 22, 2009
You should be able to place your new push on button inline with one of the wires going to the laser as you say. I cannot see any issues if there are only 2 wires, presumably this is a small laser pointer.

Justtryingformyself

Joined May 4, 2023
You should be able to place your new push on button inline with one of the wires going to the laser as you say. I cannot see any issues if there are only 2 wires, presumably this is a small laser pointer.
Yes it's a small laser nothing large. I just do not like where the original switch is and also a change in the type of control on the power I just want the laser momentary and the whole process of clicking it on them having to click it off again exasperates the window of time in which I need the laser to function and stop sounds funny but the little time it takes to do the double click is too long also I need to be able to stop the laser at any moment that extra click just takes too long and throws my projects function off.

Thank you I appreciate your time. I figured I should be able to do this but it's a tight squeeze in the area I'm going to be doing this and also the components and welds are so small I didn't want to get my big ol fingers in to this thing and spend the time I know it's going to take to put this new switch on this laser and find there was another lesson in electronics I've learned yet again thru the magic smoke method.

I've learned a considerable about via the magic smoke method and tho yes I'm learning something gaining actual knowledge I'm sure there is al better way I could have learned those things and hey could have saved a few bucks too.

You rock thank you