Push button detection through a very long wire

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Good points, @AnalogKid, except that I made clear that the circuit is for implementing a contact-closure input -- not a high speed data interface. I also made it clear that it did not provide any debouncing whatsoever -- I do that in software.

Your analysis about 'low amplitude interference' is not applicable in the contact-closure case, IMHO (there is no closed loop switch-open, and there is low-impedance ground everywhere for switch-closed). If I am wrong about this, please illustrate a realistic case where such interference will be problematic.

Aside from that, I've no issue using either an NPN or darlington (save that a darlington won't pull as low as NPN -- important for low-voltage digital inputs -- check the input low voltage range!).

Just FYI, I've used this circuit as a contact-closure front end for many years on many different designs in high-interference installations with long cable lengths. Zero failures or false activation.

Also, important: These circuits provide no isolation at all! If actual isolation is required, other methods must be used.
Thanks, Joey. You mentioned that your circuit is meant to be used for buttons, exclusively. Question: could it be used to transmit a digital signal at less than 100 kHz, say, from an encoder that's a few meters away from the MCU?... assuming that a resistor is placed in the line to the transistor's base to limit its current, of course.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hadn't heard about a problem with cost only software debounce. So please do finish up your circuit. :rolleyes:
Cost is not a real issue here, since I'm not designing a commercial product... software development, on the other hand, would be far costlier than the chip.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Thanks, Joey. You mentioned that your circuit is meant to be used for buttons, exclusively. Question: could it be used to transmit a digital signal at less than 100 kHz, say, from an encoder that's a few meters away from the MCU?... assuming that a resistor is placed in the line to the transistor's base to limit its current, of course.
A mechanical encoder? If so, take care collector the rise time is adequate.

An optical encoder? No.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
It is clamped to +/- 0.7V.
If you're referring to the inbuilt clamp diodes, they're only intended to discourage buildup of static on the pins, typically they can rarely handle any more than about 10mA or so without failing.

In CMOS structures; the diodes are often attached to a parasitic SCR inherent in the fabrication process. Driving them fully to conduction fires the SCR and crowbars the supply rail. Which reminds me - if you debounce an input pin by damping it with a capacitor; you need to add a diode from the top of the capacitor to Vdd, so as Vdd comes down, it takes the capacitor with it.

If you have an external clamp diode and it gets damaged, you can replace it. If the internal diodes get damaged - its the whole chip!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Had to comment a bit off topic, "caps fail, code never does" anyone who's ever owned a P.C may disagree, I think code sometimes has moods ha ha
The bugs in code usually lie in wait for some specific event that never occurred to the programmer.

Electrolytic capacitors can be troublesome - especially small low voltage types that could suit damping a switch/input, but most dry dielectric types are pretty long lasting.

The main criticism of capacitor is closing the switch shorts the charge in it, if the capacitor value isn't chosen carefully it can sputter the switch contacts - just a very minute bit, but significant over many thousands of operations.