push button and estop

Kodaleshen

Joined Mar 15, 2017
Total newb question. I have a pushbutton wired and then going through a e-stop and finally powering on a relay. Everything works I push the button and it's powered but as soon as I let off the pushbutton the circuit is obviously not complete. How do I latch it so everything stays on once the button is pressed until the e stop is pressed and breaks the power?

Thanks,

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You need to latch the relay ON. If you have a spare pair of contacts on the relay, wire the contacts in parallel with the pushbutton.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Depends on exactly what you have. The basic idea is to have the relay power its own coil once the contacts are closed and to have the e-stop break the coil current. This is typically done with a multi-pole relay so that one pole controls the circuit being controlled and another pole is used for the latching behavior. This pole is put in parallel with your push button.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 1105 e-stop.PNG
Total newb question. I have a pushbutton wired and then going through a e-stop and finally powering on a relay. Everything works I push the button and it's powered but as soon as I let off the pushbutton the circuit is obviously not complete. How do I latch it so everything stays on once the button is pressed until the e stop is pressed and breaks the power?

Thanks,
What is suggested is something like this.