Purchasing of correct ic for correct circuit

Wadia raj

Joined Sep 18, 2016
I want to make flasher led circuit using timer ic 555.
I am going to purchase ic 555 online . I saw that there are 2 types of ic's. One is NE 555
And other one is LM 555.
So guys plz help me out that which one ic is to be purchased for flasher led circiut

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"same" means equal to each other.

I posted the datasheets for 4 of the 555 chips. You can read them to find any differences.

Threeneurons

Joined Jul 12, 2016
The different prefixes, were used by different manufacturers, of the functionally same part. In the old days active components were made by several manufacturers, to the point that they had industry set-up registration organizations. This goes back to the tube days. An RCA 12AX7 worked the same as a Sylvania 12AX7. Fast forward to ICs, and LM was the prefix National Semiconductor used for its linear parts. NE was the prefix used by Signetics. Signetics actually developed the original 555 back ~1969. The parts are interchangeable.

National Semiconductor was swallowed up by TI only a few years ago. Signetics was bought out by Philips a while back, and has since spun off their semiconductor group as NXP. TI sells 555s with many legacy prefixes (LM, NE, SE ...)

What you should pay attention to, is the suffix. The letters at the end. This describes packaging. For a hobbyist, I assume you want the DIP (Dual In-Line Package, DIL in England). This is the "through-hole" package, as opposed to a surface mount part, like an SOIC-8. For TI, a NE555P is a DIP, a NE555D is a surface mount SOIC.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I want to make flasher led circuit using timer ic 555.
I am going to purchase ic 555 online . I saw that there are 2 types of ic's. One is NE 555
And other one is LM 555.
So guys plz help me out that which one ic is to be purchased for flasher led circiut
Since you call the circuit a flasher I take it that it is a low frequency oscillator. Any of them will probably work. How much current do you intend to drive? That may be the only difference between them that may concern you.