Information on purchasing electronic components

Drew . G. H. 1066

Joined Feb 14, 2023
I would be interested to hear from members where they purchase there components from?, especially if you can buy just one or two, and not have to buy ten at a time.

Also I would like to know which manufactures of electronic components that member’s use, because of the quality of there products?.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If we are referring to low cost consumable items, I don't order just one piece. I would probably order 10 at a time in order to have spares on hand. I wait until I have a large enough order so that I don't have to pay shipping charges.

Usually sources are Digikey, Newark, Mouser. Delivery is usually next day.

If I just need one piece we have a local store that is very well stocked.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
If I just need one piece we have a local store that is very well stocked.
Wow. All the stores I know of have closed.

Digikey, Mouser. We had stores. It cost me one-hour wages to go get parts which is the same as overnight shipping.
I get parts from China but you really have to have a relationship with the vendor. If they are doing $million a day they are OK but there are many one man stores that you should not use.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Taysa Electronics is a good source for quality , low cost components. They are located in Thailand, with US warehousing of some items. Shipping is affordable and reasonably quick.

If you're talking about resistors and capacitors (for example), instead of ordering a few of whatever value you need for a project, get some of the assortment kits that Amazon or ebay has.

Drew . G. H. 1066

Joined Feb 14, 2023
I must first of all, apologies to everyone who responded to my thread, as I forgot that my thread would go World Wide. As one reply said, where in the world are you. I am located in the United Kingdoms. So I am looking for a small independent electronic shop, if any still exist?, the larger companies I have had dealings with, I had to buy ten of the same component at a time, when I only needed one! .

I would be interested to hear from members, where they purchase there components from?, (in the U.K), especially if you can buy just one or two, and not have to buy ten at a time.

Also I would like to know which manufactures of electronic components that member’s use, because of the quality of there products?.

From Italy here, I have had positive experience with LCSC. Many non-critical parts are definitely convenient, while for some other more critical (capacitors, chips) I just made sure that the makes are renowned.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
My UK Sources:

RS Components (online, I have an account so next-day free postage & no minimum order value)
Farnell UK (online)
CPC Farnell (online, or in-store if you're near Preston)
Cricklewood Electronics (online & in-store for London - one of the few remaining)
eBay.co.uk
Amazon.co.uk
Mouser.co.uk
Digikey.co.uk
AliExpress.com

For Rs, Cs, common BJT, MOSFETs, LEDs, etc I maintain a small stock (10 - 15 items per value) usually based on one of the 'component kits' and replenished as needed. For more esoteric pats its always worth pushing suppliers for samples, often they'll ship one or two parts for free...