Information on purchasing electronic components

Drew . G. H. 1066

Joined Feb 14, 2023
Th
My UK Sources:

RS Components (online, I have an account so next-day free postage & no minimum order value)
Farnell UK (online)
CPC Farnell (online, or in-store if you're near Preston)
Cricklewood Electronics (online & in-store for London - one of the few remaining)
eBay.co.uk
Amazon.co.uk
Mouser.co.uk
Digikey.co.uk
AliExpress.com

For Rs, Cs, common BJT, MOSFETs, LEDs, etc I maintain a small stock (10 - 15 items per value) usually based on one of the 'component kits' and replenished as needed. For more esoteric pats its always worth pushing suppliers for samples, often they'll ship one or two parts for free...
Thank you for your reply, Some of the ones you have mentioned, I have purchased from, but there are some, that I have not, so thanks again.

Ron314

Joined Mar 14, 2023
Surprisingly, I have 2 electronics stores within a 30 minute drive of me. One of them has at least 4 guys/gals working there continuously with lots of discrete components on hand. They are probably mainly running an on-line business of electronics components. Have you seen Alibaba? they sell microcontrollers for as low as 1 cent a piece, like for example PIC12F675 etc. I've usually bought local(Lee's Electronics), Amazon (Modules) or Microchip direct.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""especially if you can buy just not one or two, and have to buy ten at a time.""
Never am buying so microscopic stocks like 10, but 100 and 1000 is frequent thing.
Then, if component is relative rarity, go to octopart com and see what are been first hand buyers from producer. Then select the price and let go. When the component is very chrestomatic, go to Digikey or Farnell or Mouser and chose what is better. Earlier was very nice representative of Arrows, but they made hari-kiri some years ago, thus unexist.
When component must arrive the same day, go to Salvats collaborating with Polish TME Europe, because they stay 5 minutes walk distance. When detail still is needed the same or next day, but it isnt available in TME, then go to Lemona (Lithuanian) - expensive, but have near half of everything. Exist yet another companies in half of hour from me, but them are far less attractive, like Elfa, Argus and many more.

Last edited:

dougp01

Joined Dec 6, 2005
I mostly shop Digikey & Mouser, especially if in the design phase and needing a datasheet. Even so, where I live we have a local electronics store that has many basic devices, Mountain States Electronics. Only occasionally do they have what I need, but I always check. Maybe you have something similar where you live? Interestingly, I learned my local Ace Hardware has a very small section of electronics for the hobbyist, Arduino, etc. Waiting to see if this evolves into something more.

~doug