Prototype plaform with microcontroller

zhangz64

Joined May 1, 2013
Hi All,

I am in the process of designing a board to evaluate some sensors.

I want to design a board that can show up as a comm port on the PC. So I can us simple python(py.serial) to communicate with the chip on board.

This platform will allow rapid prototyping.

PC_USB --->FTDI ---->Microcontroller---SPI-->components.

I do not want to completely reply on the audurio platform. I want to be able to design the PCB using native uC and thier IDE.(It is a better learning experience for me)

I believe that is a very common and useful platform for my future projects.(PCB design)

Any suggestions in existing platform that can be referenced from are much appreciated.

Thank you so much,
Eddy

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Any suggestions in existing platform that can be referenced from are much appreciated.
a few alternatives:

1) newer j-link allows a virtual comm port to the pc. that can be either an expensive j-link probe, j-scope software, or a very inexpensive j-link ob. In the simplest implementation, it requires just a stm32f072 + a couple pins.

2) newer st-link v2-1 allows a virtual comm port to the pc. you can find those on the nucleo boards, or certain stm32 discovery boards.

3) ti's launchpads for their arm chips also have a virtual comm port integrated.

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
I use these little boards from Chip45.

You get an Atmel micro-controller (various types available), crystal, USB to RS232 converter wired to the micro-controller chip and headers on a 0.1 grid for easy prototyping. The standard ISP programming header is also on the PCB.

Saves a lot of effort when designing a serial-driven micro-controller device!