Proteus Design and simulation of battery charger with microcontroller

Osemu

Joined Sep 15, 2021
Hello everyone.
I really need help with my Proteus simulation project.
I'm simulating a battery charger using atmega8 microcontroller. I've been able to get a schematic which I've replicated on Proteus, but now I'm having problems running it, please help, it is urgent.
Thanks.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I'm having problems running it
It would be helpful if you posted your schematic (please print so it's black and white without that awful grid) and specified the nature of the problems.
please help, it is urgent.
This forum isn't appropriate for urgent homework assistance requests. You should talk to your instructor.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Here is the schematic drawing, thanks.
Now specify the problems you're having. Understand that Proteus is not a free simulator and, therefore, most of us will not have it.

I'd be surprised if Proteus was actually able to simulate your code in the microcontroller. I've come to be aware that there is a class of symbols that can be placed in schematics, but Proteus isn't able to run simulations with them.

Thank you for posting a readable schematic. Most members asking for help draw hideous schematics. If you're interested in improving, keep wires at multiples of 90 degrees, eliminate unnecessary wire crossings/whitespace. I think most of the caps you have sideways would look better rotated 90 degrees.

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello everyone.
I really need help with my Proteus simulation project.
I'm simulating a battery charger using atmega8 microcontroller. I've been able to get a schematic which I've replicated on Proteus, but now I'm having problems running it, please help, it is urgent.
Thanks.
Post your proteus project file.
I will check it out.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Thank you for posting a readable schematic. Most members asking for help draw hideous schematics. If you're interested in improving, keep wires at multiples of 90 degrees, eliminate unnecessary wire crossings/whitespace. I think most of the caps you have sideways would look better rotated 90 degrees.
For maximum clarity, where possible, draw a coupling capacitor with its wires horizontal and a decoupling capacitor with its wires vertical.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I suggest using a separate logical block to represent the power pins of a device.
The "power pin block" is then placed separately at the bottom of the schematic or on a separate sheet. The decoupling caps are then connected across the pins of each "power pin" block.
In this way, its easy to identify, and account for, the decoupling caps. Additionally, the captured schematic will have the intelligence to know to place the cap across the power pins. It also helps keep the schematic neat and tidy.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I'd be surprised if Proteus was actually able to simulate your code in the microcontroller. I've come to be aware that there is a class of symbols that can be placed in schematics, but Proteus isn't able to run simulations with them.
Protues can run the code from a coff file so realtime simulation is very possible However! To simulate all those passives will be a toil. When I run microcontroller driven circuits, I almost always use digital models for most passive devices. Simulating analogue devices is as slow as you would expect. Mixing digital and analogue in Proteus is a compromise as you would expect.

@Osemu Build the project in individual bits, once happy they work you can then use digital primitives ie. PULLUP /PULLDOWN resistor models. there are many models in the library that just emulate components. Digital models run much faster, but do not show issues when simulating. Swings and roundabouts.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The chemistry and voltage of the battery are not mentioned.
With the input shown at 18V then I assume it is a 12V (6 cells) lead-acid car battery.
But maybe it is an old multi-cells Ni-CAD battery.
Lithium-Ion battery?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
To avoid an explosion and fire, DO NOT make the charger, buy a good one designed for your battery instead.
A 3-cells lithium-Ion battery charger is usually balanced with 4 wires.