Project with salvaged speakers and amp from TV

Troulo

Joined Oct 22, 2017
Hi everyone

It fell in my hands a high end Sony TV with broken screen. Unlike most of the TVs, this one is equipped with a very decent set of speakers that I would like to use, with the laptop as main source. (Audiophiles will not agree on describing anything coming from a TV as "decent", I know)

Just if anybody wants to check, the tv model is a Sony KD55X9005B. To power the set of speakers it uses a dedicated audio amplifier. Obviously the source is the main board and here is where my problems start.

At this point I have to say that my knowledge of electronics is rather basic. I might be giving the wrong names to the components or concepts so appologies in advance if it makes it confusing.

My main question is about the source to give to the amplifier. I have no idea if it requires digital signal or it would work with analog. I don't know about the strenght of the signal either, and I'm not sure wich pins are for what. Power supply looks simple 12v.
I connected everything to test voltages and have a general idea of what's going on but I'm still quite lost.

Here the amp board

My idea if I get to know how to make this amplifier work is to use it with a bookshef amplifier + bluetooth or something that allows me to conect wirelessly and also with a 3.5mm audio jack, and get this to the board somehow.

All guidance or comments about the feasibility of this small project are very welcome!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi everyone

It fell in my hands a high end Sony TV with broken screen. Unlike most of the TVs, this one is equipped with a very decent set of speakers that I would like to use, with the laptop as main source. (Audiophiles will not agree on describing anything coming from a TV as "decent", I know)

Just if anybody wants to check, the tv model is a Sony KD55X9005B. To power the set of speakers it uses a dedicated audio amplifier. Obviously the source is the main board and here is where my problems start.

At this point I have to say that my knowledge of electronics is rather basic. I might be giving the wrong names to the components or concepts so appologies in advance if it makes it confusing.

My main question is about the source to give to the amplifier. I have no idea if it requires digital signal or it would work with analog. I don't know about the strenght of the signal either, and I'm not sure wich pins are for what. Power supply looks simple 12v.
I connected everything to test voltages and have a general idea of what's going on but I'm still quite lost.

Here the amp board

My idea if I get to know how to make this amplifier work is to use it with a bookshef amplifier + bluetooth or something that allows me to conect wirelessly and also with a 3.5mm audio jack, and get this to the board somehow.

All guidance or comments about the feasibility of this small project are very welcome!
You probably need the front panel micro to control it. things were easier in the days of analogue controls.

not much in the way of heat sinks suggests class D amplifiers. If you're lucky; DC volume controls with "glue logic" D to A converters - more likely, all the controls are operated by some form of serial bus.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My main question is about the source to give to the amplifier. I have no idea if it requires digital signal or it would work with analog.
The TV owners manual, or just a picture of its ports, would give you some idea. It’s very likely the TV could decode digital content from over-the-air or perhaps from an external source, into analog signals for amplifying and sending to the speakers. This decoding may or may not have taken place on the audio board itself. My guess, it did not. TVs are generally not great at handling external audio. They’ll have an audio-out port but not in.

Troulo

Joined Oct 22, 2017
I'm also guessing that decoding happens in the mainboard. It has an analog audio out, optical out, and component in.

I'm gonna connect all boards again and try to get some sound coming from the speakers, maybe I will be able to know how is the volume controlled, and maybe the signal. It's my last card before start to look for amplifiers for the speakers.

By the way, how can I know the impedance of the speakers? The only specs I found is that there are two speakers per channel, 12.5w + 20w.
The small one also has a small board I guess to filter the frequencies for the tweeter.

If I go for the option of getting a new amplifier, could I check how powerfull it has to be by checking the original one?