Programming and Customizing the PIC 3'rd Edition

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
I bought this book: "Programming and Customizing the PIC 3'rd Edition", by Myke Predko

It does not come with any CD, but in the introduction is says: "For the source code for the experiments and projects in this book, you can find them at:
http://www.books.mcgraw-hill.com/authors/predkopacpic"

That link DOES NOT WORK !! :mad:

I tried to email Myke Predko, but I get a undeliverable email error...

I cannot find the book's source code for the experiments anywhere... anyone has any clue where to get it from ?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Go to the McGraw Hill website, click the Contact Us link and get the phone number for general enquiries. Explain to them what you have said here and, provided this book employs a policy of downloading the source code and not supplying it at time of purchase, they will have an obligation to provide you the said codes either via a different download link, e-mail attachment or by sending you a hard copy in the post.

Dave

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
By the way...

I did what you said, I went to the McGraw Hill website, got the phone number and called them. I told them about the problem, they said they have to investigate, so I gave my e-mail to give me the response.

That was 3 weeks ago, and I'm still waiting. I called them 3 times in the mean time, to see what's taking so long, and they basically give me the same anser "we are still investigating".

I'm an seriously thiking to buy another book by a diferent author, because I am really dissapointed about this. I can't do anything if I don't have the source code for the book ! and i've been waiting way too long...

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
By the way...

I did what you said, I went to the McGraw Hill website, got the phone number and called them. I told them about the problem, they said they have to investigate, so I gave my e-mail to give me the response.

That was 3 weeks ago, and I'm still waiting. I called them 3 times in the mean time, to see what's taking so long, and they basically give me the same anser "we are still investigating".

I'm an seriously thiking to buy another book by a diferent author, because I am really dissapointed about this. I can't do anything if I don't have the source code for the book ! and i've been waiting way too long...
Sorry to hear this is proving to be a pain.

I think you are within your rights to ask them what exactly are they investigating - as far as I can see they are stalling and playing you for a fool. They said, and I quote: "For the source code for the experiments and projects in this book, you can find them at:
http://www.books.mcgraw-hill.com/authors/predkopacpic" - they have failed to give you the access to this and they should be duty bound to ensure that they give you the source code that you have paid for as part of your purchase of the book.

This is a good example of where you need to demand that you speak to a manager at McGraw-Hill and flesh it out with them. Most managers are too spineless to deal with a problem head-on and will give in and get you what you (rightly) deserve. I would also recommend you look at going down the route thingmaker3 suggested by going to Myke Predko's website and seeing if you have any success that way.

Dave

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
I found Myke Predko's website:
http://www.myke.com/
The "feedback" link lets you send him e-mail. He might be more helpful than his big faceless publisher.
I would also recommend you look at going down the route thingmaker3 suggested by going to Myke Predko's website and seeing if you have any success that way.

Dave
Actually I did that, and I found 2 of his emails on the net (emailme@myke.com and myke@passport.ca), for both emails I got an "Delivery to the following recipients failed."

By the way, My previous message and this one is just FYI... (in case you want to get the same book, this is a warning)

In the mean time I will call them regularly to press them to hurry up with their "investigation"

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Actually I did that, and I found 2 of his emails on the net (emailme@myke.com and myke@passport.ca), for both emails I got an "Delivery to the following recipients failed."

By the way, My previous message and this one is just FYI... (in case you want to get the same book, this is a warning)

In the mean time I will call them regularly to press them to hurry up with their "investigation"
We're glad your exposing the behaviour of one of the main publishers in this field - their behaviour is pretty appalling, to someone who has done nothing more than purchase one of their products.

Please keep us updated on this "investigation" and its outcomes.

Dave

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
Just an update:

I gave up on them !

I called them a few days ago, and still nothing ! they apologized for the delay, etc... but I still don't have the source code....

I bought another book (and already received it): PIC Microcontrollers Know it all, by Lucio Di Jasio, ISBN 0750686154

It seems to be pretty good, and it comes wiht a CD, but I did not get to take a look at it yet (I just received it a few minutes ago, and i'm at work right now...)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Just an update:

I gave up on them !

I called them a few days ago, and still nothing ! they apologized for the delay, etc... but I still don't have the source code....

I bought another book (and already received it): PIC Microcontrollers Know it all, by Lucio Di Jasio, ISBN 0750686154

It seems to be pretty good, and it comes wiht a CD, but I did not get to take a look at it yet (I just received it a few minutes ago, and i'm at work right now...)
I'm sorry to hear you had to go to such measures.

Given that you have now purchased a different book, I am off the opinion that you write them a letter explain what your problem is, what you have done to try and correct it, and finally the fact that you have had to purchased a new book because they failed to deliver what was promised.

Offer to send them the book back and demand a refund because you are of the opinion that they have failed to deliver the goods you were promised as a condition of your purchase. Send it by recorded delivery (do you have such a thing where you live?) and sit tight.

Put the ball in their court and, since they couldn't give you the promised source code, see if they have the balls to give you your money back.

If you want advice on your letter, post it up here and I will be willing to give you some feedback.

I know its more hassle, but don't let companies like this walk all over you. The decision and money is yours.

Dave