Programmer cable and connector

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
The other issue with connectors that are not keyed, it is possible to inadvertently connect in the opposite hand.
From experience, if using the full 6 pins of the PICkit ICSP connector, inadvertently connecting it backwards isn't an awww crap moment that lets out the magic smoke. Whether by good design or lucky chance, it's a nice arrangement.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
From experience, if using the full 6 pins of the PICkit ICSP connector, inadvertently connecting it backwards isn't an awww crap moment that lets out the magic smoke. Whether by good design or lucky chance, it's a nice arrangement.
That's because the PIC programmer has a circuit that monitors the amount of current being supplied to the device. And acts and warns accordingly when it detects an anomaly.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Not sure if this could be a proper reply to your query.

This is how, coming directly from a past with PicStartPlus, I've been using the PICkit 4 in the last 3 years.

The small module in the bottom has the resistors plus a reset button, always handy when developing.

20220629_144652.jpg

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
That's because the PIC programmer has a circuit that monitors the amount of current being supplied to the device. And acts and warns accordingly when it detects an anomaly.
There's more to it than that. The PICkits have a strong self-preservation instinct and will shut off power when overloaded (requiring disconnecting the PICkit and restarting the GUI), but there's more to the layout of the pins than that. I have inadvertently reversed the connector a few times, without harm and without the PICkit squawking or shutting off the power. The intelligent layout of the connector pins doesn't reverse Vcc and Gnd connections when the connector is rotated (Vcc and Gnd are connected to port pins when the connector is rotated) so the magic smoke isn't let out instantly when this happens.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yah, you gotta hand it to to the wizards at Microchip, their programmers are sturdy and extremely reliable devices. One thing I don't get, though, is why MPLAB X warns about not programming a 3.3V device using 5V when it also checks for the device ID that it's about to program. I mean, once it's ID'd the device's working voltage should already be known to MPLAB, right?

1656559897286.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yah, you gotta hand it to to the wizards at Microchip, their programmers are sturdy and extremely reliable devices. One thing I don't get, though, is why MPLAB X warns about not programming a 3.3V device using 5V when it also checks for the device ID that it's about to program. I mean, once it's ID'd the device's working voltage should already be known to MPLAB, right?

Moving backward through a sequence is often not trivial, and it undoubtedly requires loading a whole different set of code.
programs exist in blocks and if one sequence is followed it is not a simple matter to go back and do a whole different sequence.
The drivers that get loaded at the start are different for the different voltages, and changing drivers is not able to be done after the code that communicates with them is loaded.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009