Programmable Sine Wave Oscillator

RivasD

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I need to come up with an oscillator capable of generating sine waves, ideally from 30 to 150 kHz. The oscillator would be strobbed by an external timer chip, ie 555, or if there is a chip capable of doing both. I basically need to generate sinuosoidal tone bursts, while keeping my oscillator frequency, pulse repitition frequency, and pulse duration as adjustable as possible.

I've looked into units such as the DS1085L and XR2206, but they don't quite fit my needs as the DS1085L generates square waves and the XR2206 requires external circuitry and lacks the programmability I want. I'm trying to avoid external circuitry, ie RC oscillators, so I've been searching on these forums and others and the general conclusion seems to be to look into a microcontroller. I have very limited experience with microcontrollers and would like to be pointed in the right direction for one that could fit my needs.

RivasD

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions guys, however locating one of those IC's has been next to impossible. Any suggestions on a microcontroller setup that could do the job?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually yes, I have seen EPROMS programmed with a table, that if feed to a DAC, was a sine wave. It needed some smoothing, but the quality was very high. You might even be able to do something with a microcontroller. What is the fastest digital output your model can provide?