Problems after hot air soldering component in PCB - BNO055

btondin

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Hello,

I ordered some BNO055 to hand solder to my boards in 2016, but this year I decided to remove them to put in a another board with mikroBUS standard. I don't know how the Moisture Level Sensivity (MSL) of this chip, but since it's System on Package I assume that it's no 1.

After soldering in the new board i realize that the RAW value of the acceleration have a huge offset (in horizontal the values should be X= ~0, Y = ~0 and Z = ~9.8, but now the Z is less than 9.8 and i have some offsets from 1 to 4 in X and Y axis).

Then I got one cjmcu-bno055 (chinese breakout board for bno055) and everithing was fine with the values using "out of the box". So i decided to remove the IC and solder to my board, and i got the same issue with the values.

I put my board in breadboard just to have the same condition of the CJMCU-BN055 board.

Any suggestion about this? I did a permanent damage to the IC since I resoldered by hand (didn't follow the JEDEC reflow profile)?

Now i'm afraid that i did the same with some Hillcrest's BNO085 :(

Thanks

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
It is quite possible you have cooked the ICs. It is very easy to do.
If you can get some new ones, I think it would be worth replacing them and see what happens then.

btondin

Joined Apr 27, 2013
It is quite possible you have cooked the ICs. It is very easy to do.
If you can get some new ones, I think it would be worth replacing them and see what happens then.
Yeah. I'll do that. But all the logic and stuff works perfectly, seems that the "accelerometer inside" the SIP got damaged

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I have damaged ICs like that myself. It is easy to overheat them.
The worst overheating was when I decided to fix a iMac video card in surface mount reflow oven. The oven had not been used for a long time and it was now faulty, as was indicated by the clouds of smoke coming out of it :(
My son wondered if the board would still work, so like an idiot, I plugged it into the iMac and promptly blew up the motherboard.
Not a good day!