Problem with voltage doubler

idrbur

Joined Jan 11, 2018
I'm trying to make a voltage multiplier but it didn't worked so i tried to make a voltage doubler but when i made a halfwave doubler and provided it with 24 volt ac it produced 12 volt dc and when i made a full wave voltage doubler it gave me 8V dc when provided with 24V ac.
Can anyone tell me whats wrong can be going on.
I'm using1n4007 diodes and 1nf 2kv capacitors.
Thanks in advance

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I'm trying to make a voltage multiplier but it didn't worked so i tried to make a voltage doubler but when i made a halfwave doubler and provided it with 24 volt ac it produced 12 volt dc and when i made a full wave voltage doubler it gave me 8V dc when provided with 24V ac.
Thanks in advance
Schematic, where?

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Thanks in advance
upload_2018-2-26_17-16-48.png
Image from Electronic-Tutorials.ws
Your half wave doubler should look like this. Assuming you have it wired correctly the problem is most likely the 1nf 2kv capacitors. Those are way too small in value for proper filtering. Start with some 100uf-50volt caps and check again.
SG

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Thanks in advance
Is the input frequency 50Hz, 60Hz, or something faster than that?
How much current are trying to take from the output?

idrbur

Joined Jan 11, 2018
The circuit is same as given by sghioto and the power supply is of 50hz, and i don't think cap value is problem cause i have seen many people using cap of this much value

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The capacitors are way too small.
With 1nF and no load you will get 70V. Even a 1MΩ load will reduce the output to less than 12V.