Problem with Duratool soldering station

oldbikeles

Joined Dec 29, 2009
I have a Duratool soldering station. In the instruction sheet it is a type D00674, though it is probably better known as a ZD917, or something similar. It comprises a 60W iron and an 80W solder sucker gun.The general construction appears to be a switch mode PSU outputting 18V. This is fed to TWO sets each of:-
power control panel , a display board and push button switch panel
One set for iron, one for gun, with of course a pump and controller for the suction.
My problem is with the soldering iron. One day I switched on, and got an error display. I unplugged the gun, pulled it apart and found the sensor element was open circuit. It appears to be a simple thermistor.
I ordered a new element assembly. ( Initially getting wrong one because of the difficulty identifying the exact unit, why no parts description in the leaflet?) I even got a complete spare gun as a bit of an insurance'
Changed the assembly, switched on, it started to heat up, but no temperature indication.
I plugged in the complete new iron, and quickly realised it was glowing red, so switched off.
I opened up the whole unit, and quickly established the full 18v was getting to the iron, but obviously not controlling.
There is another thread here somewhere, but that is clearly a quite different circuit, having a small mains transformer and simple control board. This one is more complicated. The control board (which I tend to )suspect is marked ZD-1565 (V2).
Is anybody familiar with this model?
I will try to take some photos later and add them.
Les.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There must be some device to control the power to maintain the temperature where it should be. If you get no temperature display then it would be an indication of a failure in the temperature sensing system. Since a new iron has the same problem it must be in the support electronics. So that is where to start looking for a failure.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Did the new unit come with the connector attached or did you connect it? I found on one of my units that the temp sensor is polarity sensitive. Maybe it is connected backwards.

oldbikeles

Joined Dec 29, 2009
01.jpg 02.jpg First some corrections to description. (Yesterday was "off day", as is today, migraine).
Each side (Iron and D/S gun) has its own MAINS powered regulator board, SM primary, with LV DC output. This is regulated, by chopping I assume, to feed the element. I seemed to imply an LV transformer feeding two boards in original post. I will attach some photos showing the layout, regulator and control board etc. A push button panel feeds the component side of display panel, and also two inputs from the regulator board. The sharp eyed will notice and empty position on the LV side. I thought I had a S/C component, but after removal quickly noticed it was a power diode.
BillB, I checked the sensor carefully, and I am satisfied it is a simple thermistor, not polarity sensitive. (I did resistance check and check on diode test, changing meter leads each time). The complete iron was prewired and element/sensor leads all colour coded.

Attachments