Problem with boost converter cn6009, doesn't work straight on batteries?

Braindrained

Joined Apr 23, 2021
When I attach it on usb out it works fine but straight on batteries in paralel it doesn't work. Get a strange reading and turning the controller does nothing. The same effect on laptop battery which i intend to use in home made radio.

Obviously I am lacking basic electronic skills, I tried googling to no avail.

Pictures say more than words so here they are. Dont mind the leds, i have to press button to give power to usb out and than it gives led statistics about batter, i dont have to straight on battery so no lights for that.

514C3C1C-E8B1-4A6C-9F35-6AA72E6C60E2.jpeg
538D0118-8310-4C25-8798-E9EEDF4B0D67.jpeg

Braindrained

Joined Apr 23, 2021
3v so it should work, the laptop battery gives 4,7v something. Same effect.

oh haha it was turned all the way up above 20v so the digital meter was set wrong. Put it on 200 and voila 33v

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The pictures actually say almost nothing? What would help is a schematic diagram, and some information on the load and some information on the batteries. It looks like you have two cases:
  1. The batteries supply a board which has a USB port which can run the boost converter.
  2. The same batteries supply the board which has a USB port and the boost converter directly.
This is where your pictures fall short. It is literally impossible (at least for me) to tell what is going on from them.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have some of those based on XLSEMI6009E1 chips which seem to be able to operate down to 3V. But there is more than one version of the 6009. What does your chip say on it?

Braindrained

Joined Apr 23, 2021
XLSEMI XL6009E 15152P same i guess.

I feel so stupid making this mistake, i turned the converter only a small bit but it has to take allot of turns to get it down or up. Either way i should have set Meter on 200v from the beginning.

Ya'll have a nice day.

Braindrained

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Yes E1 is in the number.

Question, my healthy laptop battery was flat 0% when just tried. The weird thing it was charged to full like 2 weeks ago and had nothing attached, only the boost converter at high voltage setting. Can the boost converter empty a battery?
If so i have to build a switch in between.

Braindrained

Joined Apr 23, 2021
This forum acts strange, first it showed my added text in post above, now gone. I got the mention it was out of time to edit but showed it anyway.

What I mentioned is that the power brick gives 2500mah to laptop/battery so the battery can receive 2000mah in my opinion. Will double check when I open de radio, now it is testing endurance playtime.

Another question, can i feed the charger board more than 1000 mah? Connected the 2500 charger to it and it didnt burn.
According to link below you can feed it up to 1000 mah but i am not sure if they mean more is useless or can fry the board.
https://www.addicore.com/TP4056-Charger-and-Protection-Module-p/ad310.htm

They also have a warning about paralel charging, not sure if this flat battery drains equally inside, maybe its just one cell.
I will google myself but feel free to join in.
F804475D-E6D6-4F50-813F-74048B30EF95.jpeg

Well i cant find much info on the battery, info points out to laptops. I am just gonna wing it or perhaps slow charging with one charge board.

Last edited: