Privacy lost...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://arstechnica.com/information...se-used-by-4m-australians-is-a-snap-to-forge/
“Tough to forge” digital driver’s license is… easy to forge
The technique for overcoming these safeguards is surprisingly simple. The key is the ability to brute-force the PIN that encrypts the data. Since it’s only four digits long, there are only 10,000 possible combinations. Using publicly available scripts and a commodity computer, someone can learn the correct combination in a matter of a few minutes, as this video, showing the process on an iPhone, demonstrates.
IMO it was intentionally made easy to crack, as no programmer could be that stupid. :eek:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...-a-e2-80-98dizzying-scale-e2-80-99/ar-AAXGt4T

Remote learning apps shared children’s data at a ‘dizzying scale’
Millions of children had their online behaviors and personal information tracked by the apps and websites they used for school during the pandemic, according to an international investigation that raises concerns about the impact remote learning had on children’s privacy online.

The educational tools were recommended by school districts and offered interactive math and reading lessons to children as young as prekindergarten. But many of them also collected students’ information and shared it with marketers and data brokers, who could then build data profiles used to target the children with ads that follow them around the Web.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/13/1111404200/cia-wikileaks-secrets-trial
NEW YORK — A former CIA software engineer was convicted on Wednesday federal charges accusing him of causing the biggest theft of classified information in CIA history.

Joshua Schulte, who chose to defend himself at a New York City retrial, had told jurors in closing arguments that the CIA and FBI made him a scapegoat for an embarrassing public release of a trove of CIA secrets by WikiLeaks in 2017.
Prior to his arrest, Schulte had helped create the hacking tools as a coder at the agency's headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

Prosecutors alleged the 33-year-old Schulte was motivated to orchestrate the leak because he believed the CIA had disrespected him by ignoring his complaints about the work environment. So he tried "to burn to the ground" the very work he had helped the agency to create, they said.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.businesslend.com/technology/ukraines-hackers-an-ex-spook-a-starlink-and-owning-russia/
In one instance, described to the FT with images and places, they recognized a distant Russian base close to occupied Melitopol in southern Ukraine. Then, utilizing pretend profiles of enticing girls on Facebook and Russian social media web sites, they tricked troopers into sending photographs that they geolocated, and shared with the Ukrainian army. “The Russians, they always want to ****,” stated Knysh. “They send [a] lot of shit to ‘****’, to prove that they are warriors.”

A number of days later, they watched on TV as the bottom was blown up by Ukrainian artillery. “My first thought was — I am effective, I can help my country,” stated Maxim, though the Ukrainian authorities declined to debate the position of hackers within the assault. “Then, I realised, I want more of this — I want to find more bases, again and again.”

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.justice.gov/usao-co/pr/former-nsa-employee-arrested-espionage-related-charges
DENVER – A Colorado Springs man will make his initial appearance in federal court today on charges that he attempted to transmit classified National Defense Information (NDI) to a representative of a foreign government.

Jareh Sebastian Dalke, 30, was an employee of the National Security Agency (NSA) where he served as an Information Systems Security Designer from June 6, 2022, to July 1, 2022. According to the affidavit in support of the criminal complaint, between August and September 2022, Dalke used an encrypted email account to transmit excerpts of three classified documents he had obtained during his employment to an individual Dalke believed to be working for a foreign government. In actuality, that person was an undercover FBI agent. Dalke subsequently arranged to transfer additional classified information in his possession to the undercover FBI agent at a location in Denver, Colorado. The FBI arrested Dalke on Sept. 28, after Dalke arrived at the specified location.
Dalke is charged by criminal complaint alleging three violations of the Espionage Act, which makes it a crime to transmit or attempt to transmit NDI to a representative of a foreign nation with intent or reason to believe that information could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of a foreign nation. The Espionage Act carries a potential sentence of death or any term of years up to life.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Whatever they are, the algorithm is quite good at stitching those images together ... but I get your point, the AI term has been tossed around with so much liberty lately that people have forgotten what it really is supposed to mean.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Whatever they are, the algorithm is quite good at stitching those images together ... but I get your point, the AI term has been tossed around with so much liberty lately that people have forgotten what it really is supposed to mean.
What's really good is hardware computer power. These systems look powerful but they are actually fragile under attack.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This is going to get ugly. I can easily imagine virtual kidnappings of loved ones, in which their voices are mimicked, and asking for express payments or else...
I get tired of calls telling me my grandson is in jail and bail money is requested. Yeah, I'll get right on that. :)

Actually I have an elderly neighbor who fell for that scam.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
These kinds of scams have been around forever. Long before AI. Long before telephones. They were actually much easier to pull off through the vast majority of history because it was virtually impossible for the victim to determine whether or not their loved one really had been kidnapped or taken prisoner. During most wars, scammers would prey on families claiming that their loved ones had been captured and were about to be executed unless the scammer intervened, or were going to starve or die of exposure or illness unless the scammer was given money to provide food and supplies to them, or that the scammer had the ability to help the loved one escape, but needed money to make it happen. All the while, the loved one is with their unit, possibly no where near the action.