Is this a wi-fi system?

Surfsail

Joined Nov 25, 2019
My condo complex just installed an E-key system. It tracks activity through the entire complex, apparently transmitting data via several antennas like the one in the picture. The other picture shows the hardware.
The board of my complex, consists of six 70-80 year olds who have nothing better to do than mind other peoples business. I have nothing to hide, but don't appreciate them tracking how many times I use the pool or sauna (for example).
What kind of system is it (Wi-Fi?), and what could I place over the antenna to block the transmission (tin foil, RFID bag, etc)?
Thanks in advance...A little privacy is a terrible thing to waste!

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Have you considered as the 'six 70-80 year olds who have nothing better to do' maybe covered as part of an elderly persons/patients health alarms monitoring system.??

E

Surfsail

Joined Nov 25, 2019
hi,
Have you considered as the 'six 70-80 year olds who have nothing better to do' maybe covered as part of an elderly persons/patients health alarms monitoring system.??

E
Funny you should mention that! As nosey and hyper alert as they seem to be, when somebody broke into my condo by throwing a flowerpot through the front window at 10pm… not a peep. No one saw or heard a thing!
However...have 5 guests poolside, when only 4 are allowed, and I'll receive a notice the next day!
Anyway ... I digress. Know anything about the circuit?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, no more hints like that. My suggestion is to sell the condo and move, because those folks who want to enforce their "Police state" will only become worse, and unfortunatelythat sort of mentality is not curable by any legal means. Security systems use a number of different unlicensed frequency bands, and an interesting fact is that not all of the available equipment operates within the FCC rules. So if you can discover the make and model numbers some research can show if it is FCC type approved, and if not, it may be that they would be compelled to change it by the FCC. But such whistle-blowing would certainly antagonize the folks that chose to install it. So once again, moving out of a police state is an unfortunate solution.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Disrupting the communications of the network your board has installed is unethical and very possibly illegal.

I see three choices:

First, if you don't like the way the board is being run, join the board and help change it. Talk to your neighbors and gather support for your election to the board and find others that are also willing to run. When I was living in a townhome and was displeased with how the board was running things, I decided at the annual meeting that if I was willing to voice my complaints I should be willing to put my time and effort where my mouth was and ran for the board. Turns out I wasn't the only one and we took control of the board and charted a new path. Turns out getting onto the board at most HOAs is surprisingly easy since very few people are willing to run (one of the reasons that many people live in such communities is that they don't want to deal with the very issues that the board has to deal with). In working as a consultant to the boards at other associations in subsequent years I discovered that most boards have a hard time getting enough people to serve that they often have vacancies that they can't fill. If you can't get enough support to get you and enough other like-minded folks onto the board, then that indicates that your concerns are not as aligned with your neighbors as much as you might have hoped, which leaves you with the remaining choices.

Second, you can abide by the terms you accepted when you bought the condo and live with it (and note that these terms include mechanisms to voice concerns to the board and petition for changes), or,

Third, you can sell the condo and move to some place you find more to your liking.