PowerTool mystery component in start circuit

cvdabbeele

Joined Dec 28, 2020
Hi,
I have the massive Hilti DCG230-D8 from a friend.
It does not start
Does anyone know what this mystery component it?
I think it may be some kind of a slow-start circuit.
It has 4 wires (sorry, not visible in the photo)
- one wire is the incoming phase from mains
- the other 3 are thinner wires and I have the impression they go to the windings of the motor
My friend contacted Hilti and they said this tool is too old (only 5years) and they don't repair those things anymore

Any pointers are greatly appreciated
thanks,
chris

Attachments

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Unfortunately, your picture is too blurry to read the text. I suspect it is a capacitor, but we need to be able to read it.

cvdabbeele

Joined Dec 28, 2020
Hi @BobTPH
thank you for your answer. You are right, sorry about that. Let me try to post them again
I was expecting a capacitor here as well, but this thing seems to be potted and it has 1 thick wire and 3 thin wires
It's dark now, but I'll get a better picture tomorrow where you can see the wires.
So, I don't think it is a capacitor

Hilti_Mystery_Component1.pngHilti_Mystery_Component2.png

cvdabbeele

Joined Dec 28, 2020
Yes the text at the side is shown in the other picture. For me … just a bunch of meaningless numbers. Hence may post on this forum
Chris

cvdabbeele

Joined Dec 28, 2020
Here is another photo. Here you can see the wires better.
The main text is on the underside of the component and is not visible here

This is a Hilti DCG 230-DB

the text on the mystery component is the same on the front side and on the top side
The text is:
1 607 233 346
220v - 240v

1v01p08 1v05

The only reference to this component that I found on the internet was here:
https://www.100outlets.com/10pcs-089924-3813-16072335ar-1v07-220-240v.html

Any tips/pointers are greatly appreciated
chris

Attachments

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
there is a PCB, copper shield and bunch of wires. seem to be speed controller. capacitor would only have two, maybe three wires. and capacitor would be easy to identify but this is clearly proprietary module.

cvdabbeele

Joined Dec 28, 2020
thank you @shortbus That makes sense !
thank you @MaxHeadRoom: unfortunately the module is "potted"
If only I could open it.... I'm OK with electronics. There may be a few thyristors/triacs in there. It seems too small for capacitors.

Does anyone know if the "Hilti DCG230-D8" is OEM-ed by other brands?
(or the other way around)

thanks,
chrisV

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Does anyone know if the "Hilti DCG230-D8" is OEM-ed by other brands?
(or the other way around)
As far as I know Hilti is a stand alone maker. You could try contacting this company from Ebay. They list a bunch of Hilti parts. Just use the "contact seller" box in this add, maybe they have what you need.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275524339448?hash=item402687c6f8:g:u1oAAOSw~-5jYnwn&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4Oq0Ezkxh5PRd3O/mBiVWA0reqPFdFDWhZj59W+FbHjBC9XnHK4GUGRc8ZQol8LH4RuHi9YNTCvAgJWmR55lRwg4uKSuObmj0DC6Ir8um0rOqIPSKRJXyt2Wg4qMnubZOeK6G1vWKd6JDBrSYotCEfWmzPxgofnHKVKZ9JiakqRaDssB3D1mSImhmJJEm+hbhQQEj0+4CVDGzO+24/ltXt1J4tUyuDFCa0YpNm+cWWSuCaE8G+Xe/pEj0KZi8TYtLIu4iVWDIcMWqsFTE3uotBSmG6biJAS9GXB67S1YSmw9|tkp:Bk9SR_jahYOPYQ

cvdabbeele

Joined Dec 28, 2020
For anyone with the same issue on a Hilti DCG230-D8

Repaired -- FIXED -- solved --- (actually worked around the problem)

TL;DR:
I bypassed the mystery component. The machine seems to work without it.

The long story:

One of the wires of the mains went directly to the motor (after the switch)
The other mains-wire (after the switch) went through that mysterious component, leading to the motor.
The mystery component also has a few thin wires (I assume sensors of some kind)

The process:
As I was not able to find the component online, I decided to bypass it.
Not knowing what this beast of a motor would do when connected directly to the mains without any any current limiter (speed controller?), I used my old trick and put a 2000W electrical heater in series with it and powered it up. The motor started fine and ran. Nice... the motor was just fine :)
This gave me enough assurance and courage to finally connect the Hilti grinder directly to the mains.
And it worked fine. No boom... no fire... no burnt fuses... and I still have both eyebrows

It gives a bit of a "kick" when it starts, but given the size of the machine, I guess that is not abnormal.

Disclaimer:
I'm not recommending this bypass. That component is (was) there for a reason.
It may be some safety device. For example in case the disk of the grinder gets stuck in the material it is grinding into.

closure
Happy Holidays,
chrisV

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
We appreciate the feedback/update, all too often we get zero feedback, which is no help to anyone with a similar problem.
If you still have the mystery component, you can open it with a small hacksaw, gently remove the sides for starters.
Good luck..................

cvdabbeele

Joined Dec 28, 2020
We appreciate the feedback/update, all too often we get zero feedback, which is no help to anyone with a similar problem.
If you still have the mystery component, you can open it with a small hacksaw, gently remove the sides for starters.
Good luck..................
good point @twohats
I'll see if that works