Help with Treadmill motor. what did i break and how to make it run as a powertool

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
hello, ive got a reebok trx1 treadmill, fully working, exept for the mointer, and i want the engine after seeing whats on youtube,

as i extracted the motor it was damn heavy i thaught it was stil bolted down, managed to catch the circuit board with the corner and split it in half, http://imgur.com/a/0z2cf the yellow board here is broken the rest is ok but i dont know what bit is what

the motor ofc is fine, and i have the wires off it still but no controler unit, i admit i know very little with electronics, and i doubt myself being correct , having said that i learn really fast! i love diy and i have a need to learn this,

i have a pic of the motor here, before removal, i now have the motor, and the 2 seen wires, (dont have the circuit board it was attached to)http://imgur.com/a/G2Nle

ive been reading about variac 10a, and know this would work with an ac bridge, but there £60, and i remeber someone doing it for next to nothing,

basicly if i can safely power this motor, and control the speed, i can do the rest . so i am hoping somone here can shed some light, or give me a link to what id need to buy ?

im off to read more now incase i get no comments lol

aim : http://beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/

kind of what id like.... but not a clue if its right... or what im looking at to make sure its right? i dont knwo how to compare this item, lol, if you dont do you dont know though (((http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-51-90V...er-/291844008028?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368)))

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You really need either a T.M. controller such as the MC-60 etc, or a KB Electronics SCR or a PWM drive.
If you intend running the motor for a general purpose use other than T.M., I suggest you remove the flywheel, take care as some are L.H. thread.
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
basicly if i can safely power this motor, and control the speed, i can do the rest . so i am hoping somone here can shed some light, or give me a link to what id need to buy ?
Being its a common two wire PM type DC motor a heavy duty light dimmer, a bridge rectifier and a ~100 - 250 uF capacitor rated for about double your line voltage is all you need.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
kind of what id like.... but not a clue if its right... or what im looking at to make sure its right? i dont knwo how to compare this item,
The motor you have is probably at least 1.5hp and the link to the controller you show is a simple SCR/Triac controller and is only good for 120W, not large enough for your motor, also you mention you want it for power tool use, what kind? because if you need any kind of fairly constant rpm one of the more sophisticated types with current monitoring/feedback are needed and attempt to maintain rpm accordingly.
Max.

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
haha! now thats what i wanted to hear someone say!! ..heavy duty dimmer... how do i find out the wattage ? the motor doesnt say what wattage and the dimmers all say like 400w etc on them.?
the bridge rectifier i may well have. il dig it out and take a pic, does it need any specifics to this bit? or they just standard?
and i cant find capacitor tht say 100-250, but i foudn a 250 that says its for washers and tools, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CD60-AC-4...or-/291584430350?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 is this what you mean ?

im making knives, and time and long hard smashing calls for a belt sander to finnish it and do other projects kinda like this guys

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
this is literatly all it says :p ive had alook for the manual online ''reebok tr1'' theres loads of parts on ebay but nothign says much lol
i show a vid of the circuit boards inside also,
but the motor says
b1f051
b1h/220v

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
..heavy duty dimmer... how do i find out the wattage ? the motor doesnt say what wattage and the dimmers all say like 400w etc on them.?
the bridge rectifier i may well have. il dig it out and take a pic, does it need any specifics to this bit? or they just standard?
and i cant find capacitor tht say 100-250, but i foudn a 250 that says its for washers and tools, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CD60-AC-4...or-/291584430350?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 is this what you mean ?
Given you're running 230 VAC not American 120 VAC power you would need about half the range of capacitance I suggested so any electrolytic capacitor with a ~50 - 120 uf 400+ VDC rating would be fine.

None of the SCR bridge type controllers use any capacitors.
With the simple light dimmer and bridge rectifier based ones I have built I have found a bit of capacitance always made them more stable.

does this help?
Yes.

You would ideally need a 1500 watt 250 VAC or higher rated dimmer unit and a bridge rectifier of around 12 amps or more with a 600 volt rating.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
does this help? now ive found the wattage etc :p how would you advise powering this for shed power tool sander purposes?
So it appears to be an AC motor, if so it is Universal (AC/DC).
You could use one of the power tool motor controllers which are just straight Triac, if you don't feel it necessary to go DC, or you could just build one based around a Triac (dimmer) controller.

Max.

Attachments

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
Whats the difference ? I know dc uses brushes and direct current and ac uses induction, but therre any con in preformance? Does tis make it easyer then ?

Im googling what you sent me cause no idea what the diagram is lol, it loks like the circuit drawings i had in tek lession man byears ago with lightbulbs etc , i love learning , last time i played with electrick was when i learnt why you dont touch the inside of a hairdryer while its working ....the case broke and mexican waved my body lol

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
it says 220-240, and tmctech said to get a 230vac? dont i need 240? i ask because
i found this. is this what your on about
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fan-Speed...-3-/291083250132?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 this is 230v but (to me) sounds like what i need, exept the vac range? im not sure how important or where you need to meet with it? like with wattage dont exeed 4000...i would be under it, i cant workout if the 230-240 means i can choose a number between that? 220,230 or 240? cause normaly id assume id need 240 as u always go max or u blow shit up lol but tmctech making me question that

then i find this, http://www.bonanzamarket.co.uk/list...ZH2kKlYKQ6Yq5CGt56sGkCAyFh3tHgfoOlBoCAjjw_wcB but its only 220vac, but says 4000wattage im trying to understand what they are (VAC) it says uk homes use 240, and its alternating current, but to me that sounds like the ac/dc definitions, i found the website ur diagram came from though xD having a good read,

edit)
ok so please correct me if my learning is wrong, but im reading 230 -10%+6% which is 230 +6% = 243v 230-10%=206 and 220+6 to be 233 and 240 - 10% to be 216
so am i correct now thinking 220 can use 230 or 220 but not 240
and 230 to be 240 (+6%) and 206 (-10%) meaning 230 can take 240 or 220 appliances??

Last edited:

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
So it appears to be an AC motor, if so it is Universal (AC/DC).
You could use one of the power tool motor controllers which are just straight Triac, if you don't feel it necessary to go DC, or you could just build one based around a Triac (dimmer) controller.

Max.
WOOOO I THINK I FOUND IT!!!!! I GOT IT IM 99.9% SURE!!!! lol it has my prject in description
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speed-Con...291953?hash=item41b5c26bf1:g:4oMAAOSwzaJX5DvT

now my questions hopefuly chaning, if this is correct... what els is needed? im guessing resistors etc woudl be all inthis unit? so would be just plug 13a 1 side and the fan wires the other?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
WOOOO I THINK I FOUND IT!!!!! I GOT IT IM 99.9% SURE!!!! lol it has my prject in description
now my questions hopefuly chaning, if this is correct... what els is needed? im guessing resistors etc woudl be all inthis unit? so would be just plug 13a 1 side and the fan wires the other?
First check to insure the motor you have has brushes, if so you can use the Triac style controller as it will be a Universal (AC/DC) motor, if so, you should need nothing more than this item which I would guess represents the drawing I sent earlier.
Although it appears not to come with 3 core input conductor and output conductor, the earth ground lead should go through from AC supply in to motor frame.
If it is in fact a AC induction motor, then you may not be able to use a Triac controller on it.
But I suspect it had variable speed control when fitted to the T.M.
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
this is 230v but (to me) sounds like what i need, exept the vac range? im not sure how important or where you need to meet with it? like with wattage dont exeed 4000...i would be under it, i cant workout if the 230-240 means i can choose a number between that? 220,230 or 240? cause normaly id assume id need 240 as u always go max or u blow shit up lol but tmctech making me question that

Seriously?o_O

If that concept and the meaning of "230 - 240" regarding line voltages is a hang up for you you are in way over your head on this project and should stop right here. :oops:

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
lol, negative xD love it :p i wasnt having ago at you simply saying youve made me rethink what ive known, and if u read on u see iv now learnt about vac, which i thank you for, so no idea why youd say this,
my mission is to figure-out what i need and learn something, as my friend who does know everything i guess gets anoyed at ppl expecting him to figure it all out,. so as a forums is here to learn and find new things, i thought id learn what i need and what i need to do before i approach my friend to help me, so i dont look so much of a noob and i actualy learn something in life, so sorry bro but im not stopping, im enjoying learning about this, an area ive never been if ya dont like it dont come post, and ive seen worse knowledge people do more challenging tasks so nah not overmy head, im comfortably learning

i enjoy tek, i build computers, i build things i make things invent upcycle do what i can, and i like it, im learning to weld, as well as many other things, did u stop when u knew nothing and hit a hard project? something baffle you and u threw it away? cause thats a bad way to think bro .nothign would ever have been invented if peopel all think liek this pft

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Glad you got my sense of humor. Many get all butt hurt over a lot of nothing nothing around here.

As long as someones willing to read and learn I 'm willing to point them in the direction to go. ;)

BTW, Text speak does not fly well here. You get unlimited electrons to make whole words from for free here so use them in abundance. :oops:

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
Glad you got my sense of humor. Many get all butt hurt over a lot of nothing nothing around here.

As long as someones willing to read and learn I 'm willing to point them in the direction to go. ;)

BTW, Text speak does not fly well here. You get unlimited electrons to make whole words from for free here so use them in abundance. :oops:
Haha its great, yeah i do appoligise for my spelling and grammar its not my strong point, my nickname as you see on youtube is typo lol :p saved my life spelling wrong before lol but thats another story,
Yeah all i want to do is learn and improve myself i love craft and making things,
Guess my next projects to open this motor and looks for any brushes,
Im quiet good at opening things and fixing them , figuring things out, i just dont know electric sowell and being this is high watt and powerful id lkike to get it right not get injured,

Unlike most though i love salt so im not put off by banter, ;) just used to seeing negative nellys boot newbs off forums instead of remembering where they were onceuponatime.
Hard to see the emotion in text lol good to know youre still reading after my extreme test to ones mental abilities ..did yuo konw if teh wrods strart adn edn teh smae we cna stik mkae secnse cuase our brians are awsmoe ..lol xD old fb share sure u seen this lol

Thanks to you ive learnt the vac rule and why it exists, questioning your reply that baffled ande helped me to understand alot and keep me safe, il report back when i fijnd out what the motor is

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Taking another look at your motor picture, It appears to me there are two large brush holders, Top and bottom in the picture, there should be a plastic screw cover of some sort in order to check or replace the brush.
Also your video in #7 confirms it is brushed motor, (universal).
Just to make sure you do not have a permanent magnet (P.M.) motor, short the two wires Blk & White and try and spin the motor and see if it resits, if so it is P.M.
Max.

Last edited: