Powering ni-chrome element

sagar bhalla

Joined Dec 19, 2017
Hi, I have one heating element of ni-chrome wire which is designed to work on DC - 12v 30Amp / AC -24v/15Amp As I use this on big transformer rectifier it works well. I want to use this with any DC power supply which is 12v 5amp and want to increase current with help of transformer / buck converter / tesla coil. Can anyone guide me on this?

Thank you.

Mod edit: Welcome to AAC!
Please do not hijack another's thread. Now you have one of your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I want to use this with any DC power supply which is 12v 5amp and want to increase current with help of transformer / buck converter / tesla coil. Can anyone guide me on this?
No, no one can because it cannot be done. You could get more current but it would come at the expense of 1) voltage and 2) efficiency. So you could convert 12V and 5A to 6V and 10A (both are 60W) if you had a converter that was 100% efficient. The best converters might get you 95% efficiency, or 57W. Your wire is expecting 360W. See the problem?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi, I have one heating element of ni-chrome wire which is designed to work on DC - 12v 30Amp / AC -24v/15Amp As I use this on big transformer rectifier it works well. I want to use this with any DC power supply which is 12v 5amp and want to increase current with help of transformer / buck converter / tesla coil. Can anyone guide me on this?

Thank you.

Mod edit: Welcome to AAC!
Please do not hijack another's thread. Now you have one of your own.
Your writing style seems familiar, have you been here before?

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Buy power supply exactly what you need - 24V, 15A, 360W - $35:
https://www.amazon.com/JoyNano-Tran..._n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:7065618011

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE: Danko - the same 20Amp and 24Volt adjustable version (3...25,5 V) is available from ebay (China) for 24 USD. Just few days ago I ordered dozen. And I have at least year three of such - very stable, convenient, adjustable. Even full short-circuit was not killing them.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
RE: Danko - the same 20Amp and 24Volt adjustable version (3...25,5 V) is available from ebay (China) for 24 USD. Just few days ago I ordered dozen. And I have at least year three of such - very stable, convenient, adjustable. Even full short-circuit was not killing them.
Post link for power supply, please.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Unless there are two ways to connect it, I don't see how a nichrome wire can draw 30A at 12VDC and 15A at 26VAC.

Bob

sagar bhalla

Joined Dec 19, 2017
No, no one can because it cannot be done. You could get more current but it would come at the expense of 1) voltage and 2) efficiency. So you could convert 12V and 5A to 6V and 10A (both are 60W) if you had a converter that was 100% efficient. The best converters might get you 95% efficiency, or 57W. Your wire is expecting 360W. See the problem?
Yes, understood. Thank you.