Powering my seaflo fan (in-line)

Ljk2000

Joined Nov 20, 2016
I got a new seaflo in-line fan for my wood shop. And it works great, at half power. I can not seem to get a power supply to work for my fan. It did not come with one so I bought a cheap one from ebay (yes I know, there fake) and tested it before use. Seemed to be reasonably useful. Was I wrong, yup. It has a tendency to start up and cut off. Within about 2 sec, and repeats. I thought sure this power supply is spleep. So I went down to the barn to grap a 3Amp to power this fan (uses 6amps). But even though that on is a good quality it does the same thing! Really confused I tested a even smaller power supply, at 1amp and that one worked fine. Tried with some batteries (a 12v drill pack) and that was fine, and worked good but is not practical for my use. What is the means of this? Were can I get a good power supply? I was thinking of getting one from parts express, which is 5 amps. Link here. There a good place ordered from there website. Now leading to my question. What the heck do I need to get that will power this fan correctly? why isn't it working with the power supply I have? I seen a youtuber get his 2 working. And mine can't be defective. It works fine with one power supply and battery. Any item recommended to get for my fan, website and link would be nice. Thank you
SeaFlo fan on Amazon

Ljk2000

Joined Nov 20, 2016
Quick update, I did find this with the whole "people also got" or whatever. Would I need something more like this product? It is easiest to click the link. Thank you
Motor controller

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The fan is rated for 6A. It's not clear if that is the normal run current or the maximum (stall) current. You need a power supply rated for at least 6A if the rating refers to the stall current, and perhaps several times that otherwise.
If your 1A supply survived then it must have good internal over-current protection.

Ljk2000

Joined Nov 20, 2016
@Alec_t Yes it is rated for 6A and thats why I got a 6A power supply. But not working. How many amps would be recommend for this fan? Like 10 maybe?

What I hate about Amazon is NO SPECS at all. I went to seaflow's http://www.seaflo.us/product/4-line-bilge-blower-fan/#undefined website and found it required a 10 A fuse. From that I would assume 10 A minimum. Power supplies are designed in various ways, what you don't know is "inrush current" which could be higher than 10 A. A real battery in the intended application can supply this. Call the company and ask for the "inrush current"or what rating of a line operated supply do I need. 12 V 10A?

Motors have an in-rush current. It's mostly due to the resistance of the wire at start-up. The motor initially looks like a low value resistor.

The PWM speed controllers allow you to set the speed by changing the duty cycle of the applied DC. This is a very efficient way of controlling power and you get the rated torque of the motor at all speeds.

Ljk2000

Joined Nov 20, 2016
@KeepItSimpleStupid So the fan is using a lot more amps upon being started, which could be kicking in current overload on the power supply? When I get home will have to see if there is anything useful in the booklet. Would anybody know were I can get some power supply for a good price? Parts Express only goes up to 5 amps, which would not be enough I feel. Another stupid question is, could I take two power supplies, each @5 amps and parallel them to get 10 amps?

@KeepItSimpleStupid So the fan is using a lot more amps upon being started, which could be kicking in current overload on the power supply?
Yep, so it never gets a chance to start,

Possibility:
http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/HRP-200-12.shtml

You can also check ebay. I would contact the manufacturer for their recommendation for current.

Another stupid question is, could I take two power supplies, each @5 amps and parallel them to get 10 amps?
No question is stupid. Some power supplies are designed for parallel and series operation. Parallel operation isn't trivial.

Some supplies also have a logic shut down input.

I would also add a reverse biased diode across the output of the power supply.

Ljk2000

Joined Nov 20, 2016
@KeepItSimpleStupid I will keep that in mind with the power supplies. Thats good information. Thank you. Also would you think these power supplies be good to use? Or is this another cheap product? Ebay, AC-->DC power supply. That other one looks nice but for now I would like to see if I could get away with something from Ebay. But sometimes I know that it is worth going the extra mile. I was looking at the 15A. Figuring that should give a good amount for start-up. Also how important is a PWM? What does that really do?