Powering audio amplifier

underground9

Joined Dec 13, 2011
I was trying to read up and gain knowledge on powering an audio amplifier does anyone have and good links that i could read up and understand or any information.

Also, what do you have to consider when powering an operational amplifier from a single battery source? How long will the battery be able to power the device before it is flat?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I was trying to read up and gain knowledge on powering an audio amplifier does anyone have and good links that i could read up and understand or any information.
If you explain this a bit more we can help you.

Also, what do you have to consider when powering an operational amplifier from a single battery source? How long will the battery be able to power the device before it is flat?
This is a simple math problem. Find out how much current the circuit is drawing. Find out the capacity of the battery. Divide the capacity by the current taken. This will give you the run time.

For example, let us take a 9V battery with 400mAh capacity. With a 10mA drain it will run for 400/10 = 40 hours.

underground9

Joined Dec 13, 2011
i was going through things i should already know and the heading stated powering an audio amplifier, i dont really know specifically so wanted to know as much info i could on the topic

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You have to explain yourself in a better way. We cannot read your mind. Especially on an internet forum such as this one where it is not as easy to chat back and forth, it is important to express yourself clearly and fully so that others may more easily understand what you have in mind.

When I post a message on AAC I follow these personal guidelines:

1. I read over what I have written and correct poor grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. I ask myself, did I choose the right words?
3. I ask myself, did I say it as best as I could without adding ambiguity, confusion or chance of misinterpretation?

Effective communication is an art and skill acquired through practice.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
i was going through things i should already know and the heading stated powering an audio amplifier, i dont really know specifically so wanted to know as much info i could on the topic
You question is vague and too general.

When you say "powering an audio amplifier" do you mean the DC power supply that provides power to the audio amp or (?)? What type of audio amp -- car, home stereo, headphone, etc.? We need more details to understand and answer your question.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Effective communication is an art and skill acquired through practice.
Good all around advice MrChips!

And clear precise communication is extremely important.

When I taught electronics at DeVry and at a community college, the students complained about having to take english courses. As an engineering manager I really saw that way too many were ill prepared to effectively communicate ideas. Too much of the time had to be spent asking question after question to find out what they meant. Frustrating!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It's true you can't be a good engineer without good communication skills. A great idea is of little use if the originator can't accurately and concisely explain it to someone else.