Powering a parallel array of 4x 70x70mm computer fans

Engineer112

Joined Jun 26, 2020
My bad ... same manufacturer, different drop shipper (but out of same warehouse), it's here
Ah I see, thank you.
This does look quite promising... and is even slimmer than the brick too as you mentioned.
The input is listed as 100-220VAC, would that be an issue?

Otherwise as far as I can see the only remaining benefit of the brick is due to the casing which might make it a bit safer in some respects - but from what you have said the open case option would perform better.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
100 - 220v just means its a universal supply for both US & EU markets - the brick is similarly spec'd.

The 5.5/2.1mm connector on that brick is rated a 5A. It will of course work at 10A but it will be getting warm and those types of connectors are designed for hot plugging/unplugging - at rated current. They will fail prematurely at higher currents leading to poor contact, increased heating/arcing and could even weld themselves together. You'll have to cut it off anyway so its moot, but the cable size is relevant.

Cable rating is another interesting discussion...

How far from supply to fan? Is it in free space or enclosed?

Engineer112

Joined Jun 26, 2020
I imagine that there would be a relatively long cable (perhaps 1m?) from a male UK plug which leads to the supply, then a cable to the variable converter and then finally a cable to the fan array.

From the current setup, I imagine around a 200mm cable connecting the supply and VC and then a 150mm cable connecting the array and the VC. This is purely based on where I imagine the components fitting but could change. Ideally the connection from the VC would have a connector such that the array could be moved to it's storage position for transport, as I think it's likely I will mount the VC to the base of the project (with a casing) as it is quite small. Would you have a recommendation for a simple suitable connector?

I thought a basic diagram might help - but let me know if I this isn't right in any way.

105809967_713984992770925_8229070549792550311_n.jpg

The fan array is in a casing as mentioned and the PSU will likely sit slightly below it, out of the main flow of air and not enclosed - with a few things around it but not such that they would block air from reaching it at all significantly.

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Ok, with on those lengths you can get away with 20awg (0.5mm^2 stranded), PVC sheathed wire between psu, controller, and fan array. At full output the copper temperature will be 70-80degC, though some would prefer 18awg/0.75mm^2. Or for added comfort, the silicone sheathed wire is more robust & flexible.. My usual source is wire..., has 18 in stock but out of 20awg, or here

Last edited:

Engineer112

Joined Jun 26, 2020
Ok perfect, I think I will go for the 18awg PVC cable, along with the variable controller and smaller (120W LED) open case PSU.

Would you recommend I buy a 3 pin plug along with a ~1m L/N/E wire, where I could perhaps attach the earth to the PSU casing? Again, other than perhaps repurposing one I might find lying around I'm afraid I'm not sure where I might find one suitable.

And finally is there any type of connector in particular you might recommend for easy setup/disassembly for this?

Thank you so much for your help, I would be very lost without it! (as I am sure you can tell)

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
This might be a better (smaller) solution to the speed control. It does what the other one does in a simpler, cheaper, way.

Yes, easiest solution is to buy an IEC cable (UK plug top to IEC C13) and cut the C13 connector off.

To connect fan array to controller, something like this would do (I know it says for mains, but it'll do for 12v too), or these (used in RC models, robots etc)

Last edited:

Engineer112

Joined Jun 26, 2020
This might be a better (smaller) solution to the speed control. It does what the other one does in a simpler, cheaper, way.

Yes, easiest solution is to buy an IEC cable (UK plug top to IEC C13) and cut the C13 connector off.

To connect fan array to controller, something like this would do (I know it says for mains, but it'll do for 12v too), or these (used in RC models, robots etc)
The controller looks like a much more user-friendly solution, I'll definitely go with that then - as well as an IEC cable.
The second connector link doesn't seem to work for me for some reason sadly, but the first one seems like it would probably be suitable.

I'll get all the parts ordered and let you know how it goes!
Many thanks again for all your help

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
Look ford to seeing what you come up with . I am curious what the application is. Is it a cooling fan or for a animal, mineral or vegtable.

Engineer112

Joined Jun 26, 2020
After lots of waiting and issues with the orders I placed (the PSU never arrived and something else was sent instead of the PWM controller), I finally have received enough parts to assemble the circuit (although still waiting on the controller so was only at max speed).
I'm very happy with the performance of the fans and the PSU so far, everything seems to work perfectly. I haven't run them for very long yet to see whether anything heats up more than it should, but nothing at all notable so far. Thank you for all your advice!

One thing I would like to do is somewhat splash-proof the PSU if possible, but with the current arrangement I have very little room for a casing. Would wrapping it in a thin plastic sheet/casing be suitable? I wasn't sure if this might cause it to overheat etc.
I look forward to integrating the controller when it arrives and hopefully getting the whole circuit working.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
The PSU is in a perforated ally case IIRC. It's power rating assumes normal convection cooling so covering it up is a bad idea. Yes, it will overheat but whether it shuts down or dies I can't say, I would hope/expect the former. High voltages and liquid = short circuits (bad) and even after drying = rapid corrosion if not properly cleaned (very bad).

You could put it in a box, and add a centrifugal fan blowing air through it (air flow parallel with the heat sink fins). Needs to be fairly powerful airflow because the holes aren't that big.

Last edited:

Engineer112

Joined Jun 26, 2020
The (replacement) controller has finally arrived, and I'm really happy with the performance! Works just as I'd hoped, so many thanks for all your help.

So far I have attached the PSU and controller together to a base where the speed can be easily adjusted. I think I can live with the PSU being simply in it's case as at least it (pretty much) encloses all the live connections, but intend to add some form of cover to the terminals on the controller at the very least to help stop a careless user touching them.

I haven't left it running for very long yet, but so far the only parts I've noticed heating up are the heat sinks on the controller.
Very happy so far, and great that it's so compact! Thanks again

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
You're welcome, glad I could help.

Yes, the controller heatsinks will get hot, but shouldn't be too hot to touch. If they you might consider forced air cooling or putting a bigger heatsink on.