Powering a light string with car battery

mohadba

Joined Feb 1, 2017
Hello everyone,
I hope that you’re all doing well.

I have a question regarding powering a light string with LED bulbs using the car battery for camping.

Actually I don’t know the connection of the light string whither it is in series or parallel. But it consists of 60 LED bulbs, each with 5W-3W and it works well with the electricity from the outlet (AC 220-240 50Hz).

I had an inverter of 500W and connected it to my car battery 12V DC, the inverter worked well (inverter led turned on) but once I connected the light string to the inverter, the lights turned on for 1 second and then turned off.

The led light of the inverter kept blinking on and off indicating that there is something wrong.

Can you help mwe with this?

Regards,

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Does inverter put out 220 VAC ? If 100 string, being designed for
220, may not have enough voltage to run string.

5W LED may have a Vf of ~ 3V or more, so thats 180 V if all connected in series.

Regards, Dana.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Mod Note:
The TS should be aware that the output of 230Vac inverter, even though its powered from a 12V car battery, can give a person a lethal electric shock.
So he should ensure that the final assembly is electrically safe for himself and others.

E

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
That's a heck of a lot of power to take from a car battery continuously 5W x60 = 300W

I expect when you conect the lights the battery voltage drops too low hence the flashing inverter light

Do you really need all that light??? I would buy a 12 V adhesive led strip (around 50W) and connect direct to battery