Powering 12v wiper motor with 12v10amp SMPS

AsianAce

Joined Sep 22, 2021
for a project i was Powering 12v wiper motor with 12v10amp SMPS. During i found that Motor was turning good but was heating up too much on no load condition. So i reduced output voltage of SMPS by its potentiometer to ~10.47v. Still motor was heating up excessively within 8 minutes. (i checked SMPS' output what was: ~10.47v @ 5-6amps. So i connected a motor speed controller and set it to 50%. Motor acted accordingly but Still got same hot within 8 -9 minutes.

(i've connected the supply directly to the two wires coming from motor's body instead of rest of wires of wiper motor.) -same issue is accruing with 4 such motors (all from scrap).

then i connected a bit fat wiper motor (specification missing) to same supply. it got heated in 30 minutes to same extent as previous motors. Please help me fix it.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Wiper-Motors are not designed for efficiency,
they are designed to operate in a very hostile environment, and survive.

Also, most Wiper-Motors have 2-Speeds,
and may be quite inefficient on "low" Speed,
this is because the Motor will still be expected to provide
heavy Torque even on "Low".

Wiper-Motors may "attempt" to pull up to ~25-Amps under heavy Load.

AsianAce

Joined Sep 22, 2021
All Respected Sirs,

First of all thank you all for supporting my willpower by writing back to me.

Sirs, Stupidly i'd connected speed 1 and speed 2 wires to SMPS. today i serviced the motor then connected ground and speed 1 (high) to SMPS (now 11.8v @ 10amp). now motor gets hot (not excessively like earlier) now after 16 minutes on no load.

tomorrow i'll try with low speed wire to find- how long it do not gets too hot.

i'll be using this motor to run 8 skewers at a time (we can say all those skewers and some friction may weight around 7kg)

Sirs, Do you have suggestions ?

Attachments

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Now that You've found the real problem, don't worry too much about the heat,
(unless You seriously overload it),
Wiper Motors are designed for a 100C operating environment.

AsianAce

Joined Sep 22, 2021
Respected Sirs,

Here is the Machine (Maxxime) (Barbecue) I was taking your help on motors (wiper motors) used in it. And i received help from you all. Now after all assembly I'm facing a new issue.

assembly:
1) I'm using 4 wiper motors in it- attached on metallic frame of machine.
2) powered by a 12v10amp SMPS with two output couples (+,_)
3) two motors power the scissor lifts20211013_125843.jpg20211012_050854.jpg20211013_125749.jpg20211013_125920.jpg20211008_195042.jpg
4) one powers main shaft on top
5) one powers skewers in middle

I've provided PWM speed controller to main shaft motor and to skewer motor.
DPDT for polarity change is provided to all motors

Motors' ground is connected to metal frame of machine and is causing serious problems with circuits. and causing shorts also.

isolating the motors mechanically is not possible now as chain, lead screw, sprockets are there- & strong insulting nut bolts can't be found here.

i tried to power the motors by wires (1 speed, 2speed) what goes directly into the motors but problem still exists.

Sirs, Is there any other way that i can cut off the ground of motors so that they can work as normal DC motors ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Normally there should be no problem of grounding the frame of the motors, check for continuity between motor power and frame.
Also for a semi-commercial machine, especially in this application, I would seriously consider a linear supply for motor control particularly.
Is the control for the machine mainly hard-wired devices? i.e., no electronic control?
The wiring looks messy and can affect the operation, do you have a decent schematic of the control? (should be the first thing in line).!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
BTW, you should also consider earth grounding the machine, also there is a bulletin published by Siemens on the subject of equi-potential Grounding, i.e., bonding all metallic parts of the machine to earth GND in order to keep electrical noise to a minimum.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You may need to disassemble the Motors to find how they are Grounded.
This would also be a good time to insure that the Gear-Box has plenty
of high-quality Molybdenum-Disufied-Grease,
because it's not unusual for the manufacturer to
scrimp on the quantity of Grease in the Gear-Box.

The Rotisserie-Motor should probably have a thin Aluminum-Shield to
block some of the radiant-heat from the Grill.

It will also be running for long periods of time, so it's probably a good
idea to run it at less than ~10-Volts to keep the heat-production down.

Do not use the Slow-Speed-Wire unless it has
a greater Resistance measurement to Ground than the High-Speed-Wire.
Windshield-Wiper-Motors sometimes have very strange Winding-configurations,
they don't always follow the "standard" way of doing things.

AsianAce

Joined Sep 22, 2021
BTW, you should also consider earth grounding the machine, also there is a bulletin published by Siemens on the subject of equi-potential Grounding, i.e., bonding all metallic parts of the machine to earth GND in order to keep electrical noise to a minimum.
ok, Sir