Power up six LM324 from AC mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey.Jerry

Joined Jun 8, 2014
Hello all,
I need a help from you. So,basically I want to power up six LM324 ICs. But using batteries is not cost effective for me. So, I decided to power them up from the AC mains. My Questions are;
1) How can I power them up from the ac mains?
2) In total how much volts should I provide to power up them?
3) Which sort of a circuit should I make?
Any helps will be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You cannot power integrated circuits from the AC mains. It is dangerous and the voltages are not compatible. You need to convert the AC from the mains to DC via a TRANSFORMER, a rectifier, and a filter capacitor. Then you need to have a voltage regulator that will reduce the voltage to a uesable range. The great news is that you can buy these devices already assembled cheap. Then you can spend your time experimenting.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Hey, Do you have any links to a tutorial to make a DC power supply? I may need somethind around 24 V.
Follow Papabravo's advice and add a regulator to the unregulated DC. I'd suggest using an LM317 so you can create a variable power supply. You can find the LM317 datasheet on the WEB. It should have all the info you need (once you have a source of unregulated DC).

Joey.Jerry

Joined Jun 8, 2014
You cannot power integrated circuits from the AC mains. It is dangerous and the voltages are not compatible. You need to convert the AC from the mains to DC via a TRANSFORMER, a rectifier, and a filter capacitor. Then you need to have a voltage regulator that will reduce the voltage to a uesable range. The great news is that you can buy these devices already assembled cheap. Then you can spend your time experimenting.
So, can you say what all components should I buy?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
So, can you say what all components should I buy?
Can you share a schematic along with complete details of what you intend to do with these LM324 chips?
Your request so far is odd.. In that one who would know what to do with op amps would at least have basic knowledge of AC/DC power supplies,etc...

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of transformerless threads.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Terms of Service (ToS).

Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
LEDs to mains
Phone jammers
Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies
Terms of Service (ToS).

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ .

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.