Power supply voltage for wireless access point

davidc

Joined Jul 2, 2009
Hi. The power supply for my D-Link wireless access point has failed recently. These power supplies don't seem to be designed with user service in mind (i.e. they're very difficult to open up and look inside); thus I am thinking of just putting together a makeshift power supply with a lead-acid battery.

My question is this : would the 6 V lead-acid battery I have to be too high a voltage (I suppose the voltage could be as high as 6.6 V when the battery is fully charged)? The device specification is for an input of 5 V at 2 amps (I have a 3 ohm power resistor to limit the voltage). Is a voltage of 6 (or slightly higher) likely to damage the access point?

davidc

Joined Jul 2, 2009
Hi bertus, I haven't found any specifications for the power supply yet (other than what's written on it that is - i.e. Output : 5V, 2A).

In any case, I have realised - since my initial post - that my lead-acid battery only has a capacity of 1.3 amp-hours. So, it won't be particularly useful anyway (it would only last about half an hour I suppose).

Back to ethernet for the moment.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
If it's one of those black plastic box type power supplies, like with an AC cord on one end and a low voltage connector on the other, then smacking it smartly on a concrete floor is a good way to open it up. It's a lost cause already so why not try it. You can see where the two halves of the case are joined. Throw it against the floor so that the crack hits the floor. If you can get an opening started some further prying will open it.