Power supply needed

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Unfortunately after I clicked on those amazon links I now get amazon junk. And neither link mentions anything about the power supply. But now we know it is 36 watts, which would be 3 amps at 12 volts. I did not look at all of the product reviews to see if any of them mentioned the supply, that might be a source of information. There was also a place for questions, and asking about price and availability of a replacement would get an answer, and possibly a description of the supply.
AND, now at last we are aware of exactly what the problem is.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, in looking at the pictures I see that there is some sort of graphic above the power connector, but it is out of focus. THAT graphic may contain polarity information, which would be very useful in discovering the needed supply connection.
And I have a difficult time imagining a USB cable good for 36 watts.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Often there is a graphic in a circle near a power connection that indicates the polarity. All of the decent manufacturers include it to avoid the device being damaged by reversed polarity.
And do you have an instruction book for the device?
In post #18 is an image of the type of graphic I am describing, and I hope that is what I see in the photo of the power connector.
I am guessing that the device is battery powered and so the external power is for charging the internal battery.
And iff that is exactly the same device as shown in the amazon link, then possibly there is a description or an image of the battery charger there some place.

Last edited:

Carnickie73

Joined Oct 7, 2020
There is definitely no graphic marking as you describe near the power point on the device. The laser does not have an internal battery it is corded as oppose to cordless and needs to be plugged in at the mains.
I also live in UK.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
@Carnickie73
There, on Farnell, are two candidates:
1602955453877.png
If central pin of your connector is 2 mm, then buy this adapter:
12V, 2A,24W, Plug In Power Supply (Level VI), Right Angle 2.1mm Plug -
PEL00849

Right-angled, centre positive DC connector.
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00849/ac-dc-psu-12v-2a-2-1mm-ra-dc-plug/dp/PW04265?st=plug in power supply 12v 2a
£4.54 (£5.45 Inc. VAT)
Price for:Each

If central pin of your connector is 2.4 mm, then this adapter is yours:
12V, 2A, 24W, Plug In Power Supply (Level VI), Right Angle 2.5mm Plug -
PEL00851

Right-angled, centre positive DC connector.
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00851/ac-dc-psu-12v-2a-2-5mm-ra-dc-plug/dp/PW04267?st=plug in power supply 12v 2a
£4.54 (£5.45 Inc. VAT)
Price for:Each

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I was hoping that we could be lucky and find some information.
But there is also a puzzle because a 36 watt laser is rather serious, and in that case there should be all kinds of safety warnings on the device. After what I had to go through to get a device witjh some 20 MILLIWATT lasers certified, a 36 watt laser would be very much more paperwork. And there is no way a 36 watt laser would only cost $100, or $97, or any similar price. At least I have not seen lasers with that power level even available to the public.
The device does have a display and so the computer driving that must use some power, So now we are no place, except to wonder if there is a way to open the case without damaging it. a look inside would could allow us to see the voltage rating on any capacitors, and probably understand just what is happening.
Inwatched that video and I see that the power supply is listed as 12 volts, 2 amps, center positive. So now all you need is to find one of those with a connector that fits. THAT may be a real challenge,

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks guys I've ordered the top one pictured fingers crossed this will be fine. Thanks for helping guys x
Great!! when you get it please let us know if the supply works out. From that video we see a white light flash, which is quite a puzzle to me because I have not seen a white light laser. Given that lasers are normally monochromatic, producing only one wavelength, or a very narrow collection of wavelengths, white light is a puzzle. So if you can also give us a report on the actual color after you try it that will be interesting and educational. Thanks.