Assistance Needed: Power Supply to +12v DC Male

LucV

Joined Jan 22, 2024
Dear AB Circuits,

I hope this message finds you well and thriving in the world of tech wizardry!

I've recently embarked on a mission to power my Netgear GS108Tv3 switch using my Corsair AX860i power supply, and I find myself in need of some guidance.

Here's the scoop: I'm looking to tap into the AX860i's +12V output, and I suspect the PCIe or CPU port might be the golden ticket. My trusty Netgear switch has an input of +12V 1A DC male power, and I believe this Corsair powerhouse can deliver the spark it needs.

Now, my quest for the perfect connection has led me to ponder two options:

1. Ready-Made Magic: Is there an enchanted cable that converts PCIe to DC male?

2. DIY Power Symphony: Alternatively, I'm not afraid to embark on a cable crafting adventure! Any product recommendations for creating a custom cable from two parts, I'm all ears (and wires)!

Your expertise is my compass, any insights, recommendations, and any pearls of wisdom you might have are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Why do You want to do this ??????

DO NOT mess with any Sockets on the Mother-Board,
it could get very expensive in the blink of an eye.
Are You talking about the multiple Plugs attached to the Power-Supply ?
( they are not referred to as "Ports", they are either Plugs or Sockets ).

LucV

Joined Jan 22, 2024
Hey LowQCab, thank you for the insight. Excusue my technical lingo, I was not trying to refer to the motherboard.
The only two devices in play are my Corsair Power Supply and my Netgear switch (that needs power).

So I am tring to find a +12v current from my PS that would be able to power my Netgear switch that has a DC male input.

I've attached some pictures below, any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

LucV

Joined Jan 22, 2024
You don't have the original Power-Supply that came with it ??
Hey LowQCab, I do, but the housing that I am building will be inclosed from the inside so there will be no way of using the original PS. Basically, I'm building a TrueNAS server inside of an vintage military crate and would love to power the Netgear switch with the Corsair PS. Can you please let me know if what I am planning to do is possible at all, I love a good diy project.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Certainly it's possible, but be careful to insure reasonable Cooling-Air-Flow.
Heat build-up WILL cause failures.

There are dozens of different Power-Supply "Barrel-Jack" dimension-specifications,
and guessing or assuming the various sizes never seems to work-out in your favor.
I would try to get a second Netgear Wall-Wart-Power-Supply
and cut it's Wire roughly in the middle.
Then use the second Power-Supply to verify the polarities and markings of everything.
Verify everything with a DMM before plugging it together.
If you get the polarities wrong You will likely get instant-Blue-Smoke.

Make notes on a blank Sticker and apply it to the Netgear-Switch,
don't try to "remember" anything about the project,
make several records,
and also put all info in a Text-File somewhere on your Computer.

The big-fat SMPS is capable of providing substantial Current,
so an Inline-Fuse is a requirement, not an option.

Solder and then Shrink-Tube all connections.

LucV

Joined Jan 22, 2024
Hey LowQCab,

Thank you so much for the above, it is really useful information. Considering my limited knowledge of electrical rigging, safety is definitely at the top of my list.

I've created this illustration of my understanding of the information you have provided.

Would you be so kind to give it a look and let me know if understand your direction correctly?

Thank you a million!

Untitled presentation.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
PS. Can you please let me know if what I am planning to do is possible at all, I love a good diy project.
Very doable and easily done. Just get an adapter cable for either a PCIE extender cable or any common CD/DVD drive. PCIE Cable Extension and CD/DVD Extension Cable. The Yellow leads are 12 volt and Black is ground. Next, as pointed out make sure you get the right connector to mate with your Netgear switch. I am guessing but most DC power connectors are 5.5mm x 2.1mm for things like routers and other common stuff. Here is an example and these fit my Linksys Routers and my powder scale. :)

Ron

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Reloadron
filled in the rest of the details.
You must use a proper Extension-Cable assembly, and cut the Wires for splicing.
Don't use a Fuse larger than ~2-Amps, ~1-Amp should be just fine.

LucV

Joined Jan 22, 2024
Hey guys, thank you so much for the help. So happy to hear this is actually doable.

So its all sounding pretty clear, however, I have some questions:

1. Should I be concerned about the wire gauge (not sure if this is the right term, basically the strength of my wire)?

2. When connecting my PCIe cable, it seems to me that I only need to connect the two pins/connector (+ and GRN)? Or should it be all 6/8 as this is how the PCIe ports are designed?

3. LowQCab not 100% what you mean by: ''proper Extension-Cable assembly'', however, I will be using the power cord that comes with my Corsair PSU

4. Any additional safety precautions I can take, considering this machine will be running 24/7?

Here is an updated visual representation considering all the comments above:
Power Supply to +12v DC Male.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Reloadron
filled in the rest of the details.
You must use a proper Extension-Cable assembly, and cut the Wires for splicing.
Don't use a Fuse larger than ~2-Amps, ~1-Amp should be just fine.
Wasn't much I could add. Fuse? Heck yes, a 50 amp cartridge fuse. :) OK, obviously a joke.

I like the idea of a local shop if available and yes, I should have included splicing the wires. The drawing looks OK to me.

Ron