Power supply for Single Peltier Module

Vish Ram

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Hi Experts,

I've got 12V, 20A, 240W SMPS (AC to DC) Power supply,

& I've attached single(1) Peltier Module (TEC- 12706) - 12V, 6A(Max) with that SMPS

But when I gave power to Peltier Module without Heat Sink via SMPS (Power Supply), it works for few seconds & then it stopped (Heating & Cooling), & now it's not working at all,

I think it got damaged,

Like to know, where I made mistake !!!

& How can I use new peltier module with same power supply(SMPS) without damaging it,

Thanks in advance
Ashish

Vish Ram

Joined Apr 25, 2017
You damaged it alright, you cannot operate a 72watt TEC for more than a couple of seconds at full power without a heat sink.
So, you mean, I just need to add Heat Sink in New Peltier Module or
need to add any other device like resistor, to limit current to 4A, also required

Kindly suggest

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Limiting the current is not required, but the proper heatsinks and probably a fan is.

If you can't use the proper heat sinks and fan because of some reason, then you can reduce the current, but this will also reduce the power.

The heat sinking used must be able to dissipate the heat produced.

Never run without some heat sinking.

Vish Ram

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Limiting the current is not required, but the proper heatsinks and probably a fan is.

If you can't use the proper heat sinks and fan because of some reason, then you can reduce the current, but this will also reduce the power.

The heat sinking used must be able to dissipate the heat produced.

Never run without some heat sinking.
Thanks for quick response,

Will try with heat sink

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Using a heat sink will only delay the time it takes to destroy the TEC.
The purpose of the heat sink is to try to remove some of the thermal energy from the hot side. The TEC will still be destroyed if the temperature is allowed to rise above a maximum temperature.

You can prevent this from happening by,
(1) using a very large heat sink
(2) using a fan moving colder air on the heat sink while removing the hot air
(3) using a liquid cooled heat sink
(4) monitoring the temperature of the hot side
(5) using multiple stages of TEC plus one or more of the above.

swr999

Joined Mar 30, 2011
A bit of 'back to basics': Single-stage Peltier modules typically have a delta-T max of 60-70 degC between the hot and cold sides. If you exceed this you will quickly destroy the module. Keeping the delta-T within bounds means providing a heat sink, and often also a fan, to convect heat away from the hot side of the module as suggested by previous replies.

If your cooling needs are more modest you might try a PWM approach (maybe with a low-pass filter) and control the delta-T with the duty cycle, as well as the heat sink and fan.

Here's a good summary of applying Peltier modules for cooling:
https://www.electronicdesign.com/te...quations-for-thermoelectric-coolers-revisited