Power supply AC input Cut off voltage?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
A regulator, depending upon its design will normally reduce the ripple from the input rectifier filter
So a regulator does reduce the AC ripple voltage when it's operating within it's design limits?

I don't understand how a regulator reduces the AC ripple? does this have a section in a regulators datasheets that tells the percentage or regulates the AC ripple?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was stuck at home with a broken car yesterday, but I can't entertain you today. There is no point in answering your questions because you don't have any background in the subject about which you inquire, you don't read what you are told to read, and you don't learn from the answers.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Why would you want to. It is outside the design limits. If you must provide proper output, get a power supply rated for the input available.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
If the regulated output is below the lowest point of the ripple, the ripple won't get through the regulator. If the city water pressure to my house fluctuates between 80PSI and 110PSI (ripple) and I have a regulator installed to limit pressure within my house to 60PSI, the ripple of the input will not be seen in the house.
So a regulator does reduce the AC ripple voltage when it's operating within it's design limits?

I don't understand how a regulator reduces the AC ripple? does this have a section in a regulators datasheets that tells the percentage or regulates the AC ripple?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
You can't get something out of a regulator that isn't there, so the output would drop below the one volt. Obviously you lack in what we call "common sense". I am very close to using the ignore function.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
so the output would drop below the one volt.
The input to a regulator is a Rectified waveform that never goes below the zero crossing point or has negative cycles. Only the positive cycles of the rectified waveform go into the regulators input.

If the AC ripple is 800millivolts peak to peak. The lowest negative cycle would be -400millivolts peak going into the regulators input

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Should we lock this thread that it discussing as no circuit, no brand, no type or model, no specific target that it is as the marketing researching or new products researching?

From one question to another question that it none stop as the bubble, what is the end?