power electronics using cmos

shrutz

Joined Aug 1, 2011
how to make use of the cmos transistor for power electronics applications??? if anyone knows any applications... please reply...:confused:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Not to steal a thread, but isn't CMOS(or DMOS) only used internally in IC's? I don't recall seeing a stand alone CMOS component, like a mosfet or fet.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Take another look sometime. CMOS is a scaled down version of MOSFET, because it is much smaller it needs less switching voltage. The geometries are very similar. Given CMOS came first I suppose it would be more correct to call a MOSFET a scaled up version of CMOS transistors. With HEXFETs, it is many transistor repeated if I'm not mistaken.

CMOS - Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor
MOSFET - Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor

Take a P or N channel MOSFET and you have a complementary pair right there, but with a much higher gate voltage requirement.

shrutz

Joined Aug 1, 2011
If there is any use of the discrete MOSFETs ( not in the form of ic) in any power electronics circuit then please give an idea about it...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Uhhh, did you read the article I pointed you too? Quite a few ideas right there. Not to mention an explanation on how to use them.

Some reading is required to learn, always.

MOSFETs are pretty decent parts, they have a wide spec range, but they can go as high as 50 amps with only a few milliohm on resistance. In other words, if treated right they don't get hot with moderate current. They are better than BJTs in my opinion, though BJTs can do analog better.

shrutz

Joined Aug 1, 2011
actually i wanted to implement the scaled down cmos in some kind of power circuit, i want to do a project on such a circuit..

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
About what? If you show a schematic you will get lots of feedback from other people on this site. It will be friendly, we pride ourselves on that.

I don't think you will find a power CMOS circuit, but the MOSFET should fill your needs.

Just curious, did you read Chapter 10 as I suggested?

It is the norm for a chip to control a transistor, be it MOSFETs or BJTs.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
actually i wanted to implement the scaled down cmos in some kind of power circuit, i want to do a project on such a circuit..
As previously noted, CMOS is used almost solely used in digital logic circuits. It can switch several mA at most, so obviously the power it can directly control is limited.

The only higher power applications I can think of are in some switched cap voltage doubler ICs and in IC high current drivers to control MOSFETs at high speed.

So how much "power" do you want in your power circuit?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Search the forum for switch mode power supplies, or SMPS, that will give a lot of info on Power MOSFET uses.

Another good search is "H-Bridge" which sometimes uses both P and N channel MOSFETs ad discreet components.