Potential well

Cerkit

Joined Jan 4, 2009
Hi. I am solving for the energy levels in a finite potential well. I am unsure of the procedure. I am currently evaluating the values of the function inside and outside the well and subtracting the values I get and observing when there is a sign change indicating that a zero lies inbetween those two energy values. Where do the derivatives of the functions come into play??

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Hi. I am solving for the energy levels in a finite potential well. I am unsure of the procedure. I am currently evaluating the values of the function inside and outside the well and subtracting the values I get and observing when there is a sign change indicating that a zero lies inbetween those two energy values. Where do the derivatives of the functions come into play??
Why have to generated 8 separate threads related to solving this one simple problem? How do you expect anyone else to follow the background?

I've already provided detailed answers to this. I don't know how to make it any simpler. However, if you are looking for other people to try to give a different perspective, that's fine, and you should request exactly that. However, you should maintain the discussion in the same thread so that others can understand the background.

Your above question will make sense to very few people without the background information from the other threads.

Also, we would likely be able to identify the sticking point if you posted detailed information about the work you've done so far, and the results you're getting, and why they are not correct yet.

Cerkit

Joined Jan 4, 2009
I apologise for all the new threads. I couldn't locate the previous ones before. I have now posted on the the very first thread where you gave explanations. I posted what i have done and my code.

Thank you.